Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet or not, but according to my Yamaha dealer here in Grand Lake, Co, the computer in my new Rx1mtn will not let the motor rev past 9000 rpm (the R1 motorcycle red lines around 14K) until 300 miles are on the speedo. If this is true, the real potential of these sleds (all Rx1 models) won't be realized for some time. In addition, jetting and clutch mods will be useless until after 300 miles as well. Any thoughts? Comments? Max

·
Registered
83 Posts
no truth to this what so ever, put your sled on the stand and let her rip for yourself. tell your dealer he is a complete idiot and tell him if he doesn't know something then dont say anything at all. If I were you I surely wouldn;t be asking him foe any advice :withstupid:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So why is my dealer telling me this if it's not true? Does he want to ensure I break it in properly? Or is he afraid I will be dissapointed with the power at this altitude (8500-10500ft) compared to my '00 700 MM? I'm sure you guys have better info than I do, I'm just confused as to why he'd say this if it's untrue. It doesn't make any sense. Does this maybe only apply to the RX1mtn? Help me out here, guys (and gals). Max ???

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't know about your sled, but some late modle cars have a "rev" limiter built into them so to speak, they wont let a car go over 100 mph unless you change the chip, look, you will find out in less than 30 days (if all goes well)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just checked with an old friend (retired engineer fron Yamaha/one of the designers on the Phazer back in the 80's) who still has ties. He said your dealer is feeding you a line. He did say however that the break-in (first 300 miles) is very CRITICAL as to the future performance of the engine. Follow your owners manual to the letter (not your dealer's advice). They apparently saw some big differances between RX-1's at the Haydays, due to the way they were broke in .
I'd find a new dealer!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. I just got back from my dealer here in Grand Lake, Co. I told him I thought the whole 300 mile thing was BS. He admited that his source was not reliable and the only reason he was telling customers about it was so they would break-in the new machines better, which makes some sense. I didn't want to pi$$ him off too bad because he's the only dealer around for 100 miles and he got me a new RX1mtn (blue) for a decent price and I made him throw in some extra stuff (cover, shop manual, tuning, and a hat). I pick her up at the end of next week!! I'm so excited!! Max :D

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
That rumor originated from the engine which is used in the 4-stroke PWC which does to prevent pre-mature wear on the machine, since it is the same engine, people speculated that it'd be on the RX-1's too, but it isn't :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts