Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone else is crazy like me. Just bought an R1 motor on Ebay for parts. Plan on jumping right in yeeee haw.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually just bought a complete cylinder head $200.00US

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
R1's have slightly better port angles,titanium valves versus stainless. A different pair of cams to try. dyno here I come

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the good luck wishes I hope to not need them.(yea right)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Throw some wind at it and put it under pressure  

What do you think?  220+ hp on prem. pump fuel?
Super wide powerband..  You have extra engine    

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
MXZ900,
Please let me know how it goes as I'll be looking to "tinker" also. I kmow that I'm going to install a different rear skid on one of mine. Most likely the AD Bovian Xpert X and Ohlins front shocks. What did you pay for the complete motor you have in the picture? Does any one know all the difference's between the RX-1 and the R-1? Besides ski's for a track.L.O.L I can't wait to play, that's for sure.
caleb

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have had aerochargers before, they work well in some apps. but normally aspirated is going to be my first choice. I also am considering a diff. rear skid.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yamaha says they will be delivering consumer units early sept.(I hope this is true)

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
MXZ900,
  I want mine in August for some grass drags.
 I saw vipers delivered to buyers in August last year. I was the Sixth guy to snow check so I'm optimistic. I once saw an aerocharger on a T-cat. Was deffinetly a wild ride once it spooled-up. I'm looking at one also for the Rx-1. Do you have any ideas as to the fireing oder and if efi from the bike will fit? This thing is full of potential.
Caleb

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It would be nice if Yamaha delivered them this soon. I was the first one to give a deposit so I should get the first sled. The bikes do have EFI now, just wait we'll get it soon. As far as the turbo goes it will prob. be a great performer w/very little lag. I just can't figure out where the compressor is going to fit.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Would supercharging be a viable option?
Or would that just be a PITA?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Winterpark,
Supercharging creates to much drag compared to turbos. That's the reason Fastest Streat car racers switch to singhle turbos. I've already spoke witha few performance shops and mainly Aerocharger and they'll have a single turbo kit this fall. It'll be 210+ on reg gas and with race(turboblue) fuel and the wastgate screw turned up 300+ plus wild ponys will sled free. I can't wait.
caleb

·
Registered
222 Posts
Oh I know about that, Dogg, but it would be nice to get the low end of a positive displacement supercharger.  Especially on a mountain sled.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with you winterpark if I were to pressurize this thing I would rather use a supercharger than a turbo also. "Injection is nice but I'd rather be blown"

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
They way i look at turbos and supers is.  

I have owned a turbo eagle talon and i now have a pontiac grand prix GTP super.

The main diffrence is that the super feels like true hp.  When you hit the gas its there.  With the turbo it took a few secs to notice the power and when you shifted you lost a bit of the boost.  

On a sled i would like to have a supercharger also.  It may rob a bit of hp but it will give back plenty more then what it takes.  For a sled it would be a real neet feel to have 250hp at your fingertips rather then having to wait a few secs for it to kick in.  

If there is a super system available i would go for it. But both the turbo and super are going to be awsome anyway.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It will take some time to tune and clutch any sled with an Aerocharger, but when you get it right it will have as much low end pull as you want.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts