Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at local grass drags on weekend where 2 yamaha RX1's showed up,after all the hype I've heard for so long I couldn't believe it when I saw a firecat f7 beat it. Then a rev 800, them a srx 700 , and so on and so on. These guys ran a dozen times or so and I didn't see them beat anything. I'm sure the top end will be good but as far as drag racing goes they're very unimpresive.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Give them some time to get the clutching figured out. From what I've heard the belt slips the first 500'. I'd expect some impressive performance from them once guys get them dialed in. Ever ride a 1000CC crotch rocket? ;)

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
The performance and speed achieved by 1000cc bike cannot be compared to a 1000cc snowmobile.... there are many differences in how they get up and go... The rx-1 is not going to be a drag runner this season

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Been seeing and hearing the same thing here. RX-1's are getting killed at the drags. But I think they will make a great top runner.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I don't even know why they are racing them.
They are supposed be a good touring sled. You don't see me racing my GrandTouring.

Well, maybe the odd time, but I don't usually win in the short races.

FishHog

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
LMAO at Fishog.

Your right the RX-1 is probably the best suited for touring but its all yamaha's got for racing so there making do.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Originally posted by PowderBoy@Oct 29 2002, 08:10 PM
The performance and speed achieved by 1000cc bike cannot be compared to a 1000cc snowmobile.... there are many differences in how they get up and go... The rx-1 is not going to be a drag runner this season
I wasn't really saying they are, obviously they're alot different. I was just trying to make the point that we shouldn't be surprised when they start to perform. I'm not a Yamaha rider but I do think the sled has potential. But it seems like an awful lot of people want to see it fail.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Originally posted by atyszka@Oct 30 2002, 01:49 AM
But it seems like an awful lot of people want to see it fail.
People don't seem to like big changes. When Yamaha was making the YZ400F everyone said a 4 stroke would never be competitive in motocross. I even have a Dirt Bike mag where they test it and love it, then go on to say that there will never be a 4 stroke for the 125 class because you just can't build one that would be competitive. Now the YZ250F is whopping ### and everyone got shown up.

I don't think it'll be too long will all the manufactures go 4 stroke. My guess is that by 2007 or so almost any sled you can get will be 4 stroke, save a few of the classics that never get changed (Indy widetrack, Tundra, etc..). Just my opinion.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The RX-1 gets smoked so bad because it has absolutly no bottom end. Matter of fact i Haven't rode a crotch rocket that had any impressive bottom end, its all mid and top end. Don't get me wrong, I own a ZR900 that will soon be piped and clutched and I will probably see an RX-1 zoom by me on the lakes, but they can have that RX-TON I would much rather have my 0-80 be impressive.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
i think we might be a little too hard on this sled at this point. the races we hearing about are just short runs with most of them having no studs. this sled just might be a strong runner in the 1000 foot ..mabe not. i dont know but the fact remains that it is a 4 stroke. i dont remember yamaha saying that it is going to kill everything out there they just said introducing the future of snowmobiles. we have made the conclusion that this is the competition. it will however be a real nice trail sled and especialy on long runs the fuel economy should be wild. time will tell

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Originally posted by Machzzzz1@Oct 29 2002, 03:14 PM
Been seeing and hearing the same thing here. RX-1's are getting killed at the drags. But I think they will make a great top runner.
This has to be your first non negative post about the RX-1 ! Congrats martin !

·
Registered
287 Posts
ok, here we go again, this is like comparing a mustang to a corvette. like a post said here, an awful lot of people do want to see this sled fail. why don't you compare the RX-1 to Arctic Cat's version of a 4 stroke sled, that thing is pathetic. I don't see any post on that one?????????

2 stokes are light, powerful and got an awsome powerband, all this B.S. abouth comparing it to this 800, or that 700, 2-stroke in a grass drag, is just that, B.S.

I owned a 1972 Kawasaki H2 triple 700 (for those of you who remember that bike) in the 80's. I could beat every 4 stroke motorcycle at the street races in the 1/4 mile until the Sukuki GS1150 came out. L.A. county race way wouldn't allow them to drag other 4-strokes, they had to be in there own class unless it was bracket racing.
You have nothing to compare this rx-1 until another 4 stroke sled comes out to go up against it. Until then, it is currently the king of 4-stroke sleds..........................IMO

·
Registered
349 Posts
The Arctic Cat did not have racing in mind when they came out with the 1st 4 stroke snowmobile. It was a challenge to be the 1st, and they are used for rentals out in yellowstone national park.
It was meant to be a trail criuser. (Slow one at that), but had some purpose.
I would never buy one, but it may make some save the earth nut happy.
Just my opinion. :withstupid:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts