Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and man is this thing ever heavy. Went to lift the front and couldn't budge it. The next day I went to the Polaris trailer and lifted the XCR. So either the XCR went on a HUGE diet or the RX1 is a tank. I really don't care much about weight but I want to know thaty if I get stuck that I can lift my own sled out by myself. There is no way if someone got this burried in 6' of powder they  would get it out by them selves. Yes I have done it with my sled and got myself out.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Don't take this wrong, but you must be a little wimpy dude.  I have no problem lifting the front end.  I'll also say that it lifts easier than my MachZ.  I won't disagree that it'll be a bear to dig out but not any worse than my Mach's have been.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
M-10 Rules
   You didn't lift a production RX-1 at Nelsons. I talked to the rep after everyone left and he admited that it was a pre production version. So I'm sure that the production version weighs less.
Caleb

·
Registered
22 Posts
Probs lifting the front Of the RX-1? Hmm I can do it with one hand! Course I'm 6'6" and 300 pds.  LOL

The bumper didn't flex, bend or fall off. Seems quite solid. What I noticed is that the rear is heavier than other sleds because of the muffler and pipes in the back.

Course no one seems to notice this because most reports of lifting the sled are trolls and bash's. No real unbiased reports are being made.

Is it heavy? Yep about the same as lifting a triple triple and thats a grunt.

If you bash the RX-1 cause its heavy, your looking at the wrong sled. You don't want to own one but yet you continue to look. Walk over to the twins and droll.

Its because of the brain washing that everyone thinks all sleds have to be under 500 pds. Thats great for drag racin and ditch bashin, means little to trail cruisin fanatics like me.

There is another crowd out there that does not drag race or ditch bash. We are usually found on our side of the trail and don't leave big piles of snow every time we take off.

Like it or not the hobbie is going to split into two seperate classes of sleds. One that is aimed at the whoopie crowd and one thats aimed at the touring crowd.

That does not mean that you will not be able to tour with a whoopie sled or whoopie with a touring sled. It only means that the sleds will be designed to suit one market better than the other.

There will still be two stroke light weight sleds for those that want them. They may be more high tech to meet emissions. But they will be available so you 2 strokers can stop feeling so threatened by a performance 4 stroke.

I think the 4 stroke realease is a good thing it will push the manufactures into building a better two stroke. Doo has already steped up to the plate. Is a D.I. 2 stroke just around the corner? Whos next?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Bravo. very well said twoup

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
What the HE!! is this.  

MIGHTYMACH is back.  The RX1 must have weighed so much it caused the delivery truck to blow out all rear tires and end up in a ditch.

Two-Up.  Well put.  I agree with almost everything you said, and im not threatened but more excited with everything that is comming out.

Accually i am threatened but not with the RX1.  I theatened because for years the industry was set in its ways making design changes and engine changes that were minimal.  However it seems like since 2001 things have taken off BIG TIME and the manufactors are making radical move to top each other.  

I just hope that they dont go somewere they dont want to go (such as maybe a 4stroke engine) because its very hard to go back once you have gone forward such as the triple engine.   I just hope we dont have a drop off waiting for us at the end of this development rise.  

I DONT WANT TO BE STUCK RIDING ELECTRIC SLEDS.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I can't make of my mind?
??

Do I want a sled that gives me the opportunity to test my mechanical skills because of wrenching or do I want to try a sled that lets me ride it for a change

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I would say get the sled that lets you ride so stick with skidoo.  Mach Z with flames or REV 800.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I was thinking of a rev for my daughter, the 600 HO, then I thought about that one for a minute.  I'm not sure I want my 16 year old really good looking daughter riding a sled with HO on it

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Why dont you go buy back some of that AMSOIL syntectic 2 stroke oil and get back on the DOO.    

Theres only 2 ways to ride, Not 4

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I got my first good look at an RX-1 last week.  I could lift the front end, felt about the same as my Grand Touring 700 triple.  Give or take.

Nice looking machine, I really want to take one for a ride.

FishHog

·
Registered
731 Posts
"Accually i am threatened but not with the RX1.  I theatened because for years the industry was set in its ways making design changes and engine changes that were minimal.  However it seems like since 2001 things have taken off BIG TIME and the manufactors are making radical move to top each other."

Yamaha had started the 4 stroke sled program back in the 80's. Yamaha has also developed Advanced Crankcase Super Charger (referred to as ACSC) in 1999.
INTRODUCTION:
Although 2-cycle engines have been the main stream of small displacement engines. Conversion to 4-cycle engines is now taking place with a consideration of natural environment. Since 4-cycle engines generally have the lower specific output compared to 2-cycle engines. They are required to increase in engine speed and displacement to obtain the same output of 2-cycle engine. In this case, however, problems such as increase in size, weight and noise arise. Therefore, with an aim of developing practical and envi-ronmentally favorable small displacement engines, we studied a method to obtain high output by improving in torque while maintaining the environmentally favorable characteristics of the 4-cycle engines. To increase the torque of 4-cycle engines, it is effective to increase intake air volume by super-charging or turbo-charging. However, it seems difficult to apply existing systems to small displacement engines because they are required to be light, compact, and inexpensive. We have newly developed a crankcase super-charging system (ACSC: Advanced Crankcase Super Charge) where a connecting rod functions as a rotor of the super-charger. The aim of the development was to achieve both the environmentally favorable characteristics equivalent to naturally aspirated engines and the high output perfor-mance equal to 2-cycle engines, with the application of
ACSC.
A Yamaha prototype engine with ACSC and carried out the engine unit tests and actual running tests. From these tests, the torque that is twice as that of the naturally aspirated engine was obtained.

I don't know what ski doo is up to but I'm sure you will keep us up to date.

Last edited by toydoc at Aug. 27, 2002, 06:32am

·
Registered
413 Posts
Good information Toydoc, have you been holding that out on us.  It sounds very interesting.  I guess you couldn't take it anymore.  You had to reply to all the negative posts.  I can't believe people are so eager to pass judgment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts