Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ridden Ski-Doo Mach Z's for 8 years and totally loved my 94, 96 and 2000 Millenium edition. The RX-1 is the first sled that has caught my attention and yes it is all speculative until I sit my big ars on it and ride it in the snow. My trip to Canada last week was the biggest factor in me waiting until next year to buy one of these sleds. If everything is true that has been said about this machine, it would be awesome in my book. But, after seeing (this is no kidding) 3 Vipers, all in different towns, tipped on their sides with the owners trying to adjust rear suspensions so that they wouldn't break there backs anymore. I walked up and asked two of the owners that were working on their sled if they liked that suspension; one of them said  "it sucks" and the other one said that he was already tired of riding his new "padded log".  This is the same suspension that is going on the RX-1, I need to here from more of the Yamaha riders, about their suspensions and if they like them. The only thing that I can base my info on are these two Viper owners that I saw in Canada and every Yamaha that goes by, looks like it is riding on its tunnel with the snow flap almost flat on the ground. I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing the Yamaha rear suspension but I'm looking at this from a very plush SC-10 with the AD Boivin ETS kit, that I love.  

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I'm in the same boat Tad, been on machz's the last 7 years,  most recent being my 99 set up like your 2000. The only difference I can see between the viper rear skid and the RX-1's is the larger shock (in diameter) on the RX-1.  With that being said, I have two buddies with MXz's and one sled rides much better than the other.  The only difference between the two is that on the X, the rear shock is like the RX-1, much larger.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I own a 99 SRX and I both hate and love the suspension. On the smooth twisties it corners like its on rails. On the bumps it is horrible. What you have to understand is that it is not the suspension design...its the shock valving. The V-max deluxes are the same suspension but the shock valving is different. The ride on those is incredible. In fact I would say its the one of the best riding sleds out there. You have to take into account the weight transfer rods also. These make a huge difference in keeping the sled level and not whipping you around like a rodeo cowboy. Yamaha is the only manufacturing where this can be found in the factory set up. Anyone else you would have to go with the AD Boivin kit (which I hear makes a huge difference on your suspension if you don't own a yamaha) to achieve this benefit.
    If you buy the RX-1 and do not like the suspension then you could  pull the shocks and have them re-valved or have v-max deluxe shocks installed. Either way it wouldn't be a hard fix. The problem is who wants to make changes such as these to a brand new sled? I would because I think the RX-1 is worth it but I am sure many would beg to differ.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The AD bovin kit does the same thing as the coupler blocks that Polaris has been running since the first xc 10 skid now skidoo has a design that is close just does it a bit dif and Cat now has basicly the same design as the Polaris.This is called back to front coupling,and the blocks in front of the rear scissor on the Polaris also the rod in front of the scissor on the Cats are for front to back coupling  these blocks take the place of the transfer rodds that yamaha runs just that it was done buy another manufacturer before Yamaha decided to get in the game of coupled suspensions.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The SRX is not the same suspension as the other Yamaha ProAction.
The SRX (and 97~98 SX) has 8 inches of travel, all the Vmax's and Vipers have 11.5 inches of travel.
The ProAction is a pain to adjust, BUT if you read the manual on all the rear skid adjustments (lots) and after your first trip come home and adjust it in the garage it's not bad to work on.  I ride alot of sled and still own 2 Cat's with ETT skids and I think the PorAction is the best (All around) ride when it is setup for the rider.

"Yamaha decided to get in the game of coupled suspensions."

Yamaha was in the game in 96. What other mfg are you thinking of?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Toydoc you are right. They are different in the sense that they have a different amount of travel so I suppose a better comparison would be the Viper to the V-max Deluxe. Either way it is beside the point. The valving is still primarily what makes the Viper stiffer. As for the coupling thing. You are right also...everyone has their own way of adressing the coupling concept, and fast originally came out with the transfer rod idea on the M-10. But each way of coupling is different and effects the sled in different ways. Thats why Ad Boivin makes this kit. I will use ski-doo as my example. The major difference between Ski-Doo and the fast/yamaha set up is that it does not go from the rails to the chassis, it goes from rails to control arm. This makes a big difference. While it does couple the suspension it does not result in the added benefits of what fast and yamaha are using because it does not go from the rails to the chassis. I could on to explain but it gets way to compicated. Either way Polaris, Ski-Doo, and Arctic Cat are not coupled in the same manner as the fast and yamaha suspensions. Anyone who understands rear suspension and who has tinkered with the proaction knows how big of an effect these control rods have on performance, not just in traction but in handling. I am not bashing the others...there are other features that yamaha does not have like adjustable shocks, but I am just pointing out that the proaction does have some strong points over the others. This is why it all comes down to opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
there was a recall on the shock valving on vipers.  The viper is a cross country sled and is very stiff.  Yamahas are also set up where the front to rear weight is balanced.  Ever pick up the back end of one, very heavy, weight balanced, limited travel.  Where I ride it is very not flat and it works I guess.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I'm not completely sure if the Mountain Max that I rented on my vacation had the same suspension or not, but I do agree that the ride over rough sections of the trail was pretty hard on my seat.  Since others have stated that this can be easily fixed, then I would easily be able to mark that one up as a minor issue and still persue the better specs in comparasin with the others in 4 stroke form.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Where to start, well first what kind of riding do ya like? setting up your suspension is key no matter what brand you ride, but it sounds like you might be looking for a touring suspension on a "performance sled"? Don't get me wrong your concern on yamaha's rear (&front) is very valid. It seams toget better each year & with the larger shock body it will be better yet but the problem is as 99 said the valving, the valve stack is backward-hard to soft-. have them valved corectly & it will be the nicest ride out there

The SRX is technicaly the same rear suspension the only differences are shock length & limiter strap length(interchangable).
wolfman the mm has simmalar rear, main differnces is longer center arm(for more weight transfer), & standard type shocks(vs gas/rebuildable)

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I've got two RX-1 ER Limiteds coming and you can bet your sweet ars I'll have the AD Bovian Expert-X rear skid installed in a hurry!!!! Pro-action is great unless your a ditch banger,period. Shock valving would of course make a trememdouse difference from stock. But we all know Yams are designed for the trail riders and seriouse riders buy the doos,cats, and even some po-po's.

Caleb

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Dogg, you definately have more money than you need if before you ride the #### things you're gonna put another rear skid without even seeing what changes Yamaha has made for the RX-1.  Ride it first, I believe it will be closer than most think.  

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'm going to try to tune the skid & put some miles on it before I pass judgement, but the M10 will be on the wall ready to go in if I'm not happy. Nothing rides like a well tuned M10!!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts