Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I'm starting to feel outdated. :rolleyes: Usually on my ZR which has the old school 9 post style clutch I will replace the cam arm pins/bushings/washers at the beginning of the season or around 1800mi. Then usually maybe halfway through the season I will take the clutch off the sled remove the cam arms and make sure things are wearing properly i.e. making sure the bushing isn't totally worn out and the pin isn't griding into cam arm. I know it's anal but I've had one to many bad experiences.

Anyways, I was reading though the service manual that I got for my mom's sabercat and discovered that the 6 post style clutch is different. Most of you are probably saying DUH!!! The biggest difference is the cam arms have the set screws and the bushings are in the in the sheave instead of the cam arm itself.

I know the new 6 post clutches are more reliable than the old style, but what are most of you using as the rule of thumb when it comes to replacing the bushings, pins etc....The sled has about 2000mi on it and I've never touched the clutch. Should I take it apart and look things over, OR should I assume that it's time for new pins/bushings/and o-rings?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I havn't had to replace any of the pins in the six post with around 6 thousand on them. I would still pull the pins and clean them, just make sure you use lots of heat on the set screws or you will strip the heads and use red loctite when reinstalling the screws. Ya the 9 post sure loves to eat the pins and weights, don't miss those days.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts