Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now with a decent sled, i can tour with the lads for weekend excursions.  

my question is what type of storage works for you and what make is the best?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Good question.  I've seen bags flap in the wind and slide all over the place, and I've even found bags on the trail after the've fallen off of a sled.  In deep snow they tend to hang up and get ice covered also.  A freind last year had a set of Polaris OEM bags on his Polaris and they seemed to stay in place pretty good.  Maybe the newer styles stay better than the old.  I'm kinda partial to a rack.  That way I can put a bag on there and strap it down, or I can put other stuff on it like a gas can, wood, or other supplies.  I'm curious what other have to say.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I use the Coldwave saddle bags on my MXZ. 3 trips totalling around 4000 miles & no problems. Do not use domes to attach the short strap to the tunnel. I use a pop rivet to attach that piece. This is the short piece that the long straps snap into with Fastech connectors.

BTW, Alscool, I got them thru Royal Distributing. Do you go to the sled show in T.O. in October?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (revrnd @ June 05, 2002, 1:43pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do you go to the sled show in T.O. in October?[/b][/quote]
not as of yet, is it any good?  i'm not in the market for a new sled and seeing the new linups makes me feel like a working poor loser
 i suppose they showcase gear and accessories as well?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Lots of that stuff plus tourism info. I go there to pick up all my maps for the coming season. Royal usually has a deal where they pick up the tax. I'll buy a spare pair of carbides & my spark plugs.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
We use Ski-Doo saddle bags and I dont think they have ever blown off. We bought them at the super trax show in October in TO. The Rev is right it is a great show and I always buy spark plugs from Kennises Lake booth. He is my dealer but has a great price for a case of plugs. Usually gloves from royal and this year I think Im going to buy a new helmet too.
 I love this show cause it means we will hopefully be riding somewhere soon

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just how much gear can you pack in saddle bags?  do you double up with a tank bag as well?

i was thinking of using a small backpack i have but have heard it will cause additional back ache.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
We use a backpack too for our shovel. I can pack in 1 set of saddlebags and 1 backpack enough clothes and oil for permafrost and I for 3 days.We can fit 3-1 litre bottles in the boot of each sled. Depending what oil you use you might be able to buy it along the way, next trip to cochrane we are going to ship the oil ahead of us to the lodge.Be frugal with your clothing. We use the washing machine at Lillabelle lodge in cochrane if we need to_Only thing we lacxk in is snacks but permafrost always takes a run to the store with the backpack once we are settled in

I havent put the tankbag I have on as I ride up on the tank and the tank bag gets in the way.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
The easiest way to pack for a trip up north is to take a tooth brush, paste & a roll of deordorant. That way you're ready in a flash in the morning  

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
No makeup, hairdryers, cologne, none of this 1 change of outerwear and socks and undies for everyday.I get travel size shampoo and make my own soap so I bring a couple of bars with me.Try to put medications in 1 bottle if possible, my buddy stu-guy has had a kidney transplant so he needs to bring meds usually Im designated pill holder cause the guys would forget to bring or take them.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
LadyK, sounds like you keep the guys in line

Seriously, I put 2 liters of oil in my tank bag & 2 in the trunk. Up north they have a good variety of oils @ fillups plus you can stop @ a dealer. Like LadyK says cut down on the clothes changes & you should be OK.

The only thing that I bring that bugs my buddies is a pair of running shoes. After coming in & out the room & tracking in snow, I don't want to be walking in my sock feet on damp carpet. As soon as I'm out of my suit, the liners come out of the boots & start drying.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
We use amsoil synthetic so we bring it with us. I also dont let them walk around the room with snowy boots on. They get the sleds ready and I pass out all the stuff and make sure we have hotel keys, cell phone, snacks , drinks, smokes, lighters,camera, and gum. Its a pretty good trade-off

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I can picture you with a whip keeping order
Plus, it's nice when you go for a beer or dinner. Who wants to be wearing the same mukluks as you've worn all day?

Speaking of beer, maybe I should start a list of motels closest to the Beer Store  

In Kirkland Lake, the Bon Air is across the street from it.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
We really dont drink ourselves,but would be usefull info for lots of people, and usually ride somewhere for dinner. No whip crackin lol just trade offs.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Don't waste your money buying genuine ski-doo saddle bags, the seams rip out and ski-doo will not stand behind them, I lost a $200.00 gps unit out of my saddle bags this year, they were 1 year old with about 6 trips on them, I complained to the dealer and to ski-doo, the dealer paid to have them sewn up after I complained enough but no luck replacing the gps, ski-doo said sorry but tough luck, so save your hard earned cash and buy after market saddle bags, I know another person that had the same bag rip out so it wasn't an isolated incedent.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
We have had our skidoo bags for 4yrs now and jammed them as full as we could no probs. No rips in the seams the zippers all still work. I dont think ANY company would replace your gps unfortunately.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Maybe so Lady K, the lady at ski-doo called it a consiqential loss and they weren't obligated to compensate me, I told her it was a loss for them too because I would never buy any ski-doo accesories again if that was how they stood behind their products.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Good for you Bartman
I had a cover rip the second trip I used it. The dealer got it fixed. Since then I've gone with the canvas ones. Never a problem with them since '91. Commercial Sewing was making them for Ski-doo. Not sure about the cover for my '01.

They did screw me on my black & white "Ski-doo Racing" jacket. The white outer was separating from the inner layer. Resulted in a bunch of grey spots in the white,

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
That sucks about your guys stuff. We own MANY skidoo items so much that every day I wear something with skidoo on it and everything has lasted very well. Maybe Im just lucky. I spend all of my allowance from Permafrost on skidoo clothing and gear. I know Im a sick addict, I cant help it. I love the clothes and accesories. The first skidoo T shirt I ever bought (1995) has finally worn out after repeated wearings and washings. The guys at White Water Marine just smile when I come in debit card in hand.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have used *Choko saddle bags for 3 years now, with about 4000 miles of hard riding.   My Ski-Doo dealer, whoops,(old dealer), I now use Pence, right here on this website, but anyway, the Dealer I purchased them from uses them on all of his sleds and they are about 1/2 the cost of OEM's.  They have really held up well, still look new, and make sure whichever ones you purchase bungee cord them down so that they don't bounce.   Happy trails!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts