Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm back with another essential question. This one pertaining to oil.

With that said, I have about 12 bottles of "Amsoil Full Synthetic Race Oil"

It is for two strokes and claims to be injector safe. However, I am not sure how well this would be for snowmobiles. I know my brother uses it in his Phazer - I'm just not sure if it is good for the older Ski Doo's with LUB Injection.

It's mainly that I dont think it is as viscous (watery, sorry I spelled it wrong) as normal 2 stroke injection oil and I feel that could cause the injection components to strain during the intial stages of the oil being cold.

However, what say you? I'd hate to just have this oil sitting around and not be of use....

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
102 Posts
Your machine certainly doesn't "need" racing oil, but it should give you good performance. When you run out of the race oil, just go to HP and you'll be more than happy I'm sure.

Why would a LESS viscous oil cause injector components to strain more when it's cold? ... not following ...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'm just using this oil because we have a bunch of it from when we had other 2 Strokes that it worked well in. I'm sure it will be great for the engine thou!

My whole reasoning behind the injection components is that I'm worried if the oil is "thicker" (like molassis vs. cream) it may be harder for the injection components to run it through. Sorry I think I got my viscous mixed up......... but that is what I meant. Do I have any merit or is that not an issue?

Thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Firstly, check the label on the oil to ensure that it meets OEM specs. If that is the case, there should be no worries. A synthetic oil will flow much easier than dino oil, especially in cold temperatures.

There might be others on the board with direct experience with the older machines that can shed more wisdom on the issue, but I don't think there is cause for concern.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have a manual - what would I look for that would tell me if it meets OEM specs?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Synthetic oil is thinner then reg oil so if anything it will get to motor faster sec if it,s racing oil it should be good . and if it twc it will mix .Also you are putting in a 250 singel that would not blow up if you held it wide open across the great lakes. It,s free use it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I belive the 377's were twins not singles and they where very blow upable.

As far as the oil, as long as its TCW 2-stroke oil it'll work fine. You don't really need synthetic for your application but since you got might as well use it up before it collects too much dust.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right - so TWC is what I am looking for. I'll get off this lazy chair and give it a look and let you know. Thanks guys! This place rocks! Glad to be back!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Yes they are twins and I think they where 368,s that year Doo did make a ss model they called a 450 with two carbs that need a little more work . But the 1 carb 368 or aka 377 ran and ran they didn,t even have speed or miles gages.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Yes they are twins and I think they where 368,s that year Doo did make a ss model they called a 450 with two carbs that need a little more work . But the 1 carb 368 or aka 377 ran and ran they didn,t even have speed or miles gages.[/b]

The 368 fan twin was used in Citation 4500 & SS models (dual carbs on the SS). When The Safari came out it was in the 377.

I know several folks that had those motors & all they ever used was dino oil either Castrol or the Bombi stuff. Not that you need the synthetic stuff but I can't see a problem using it in this motor.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Citation 3500 was a 277 single(269cc same basic engine in the Freestyle)

368cc twin(type377)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, this stuff seems to meet a pile of standards, one being TWC. Excellent! Thanks all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts