Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone compared the gas mileage their SDI-equipped sled get when running 87 vs 91 octane gas? Just curious if the ignition timing is advanced enough when running 91 that the gas mileage increase is noticeable.

·
Registered
876 Posts
that would be a good comparison test....I usually run 91 when its available. Have only run 87 when up north and no premium around. But I have never noticed a difference in performance or mileage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I found no difference in gas milage when running the high test gas compared to the 87 octane. This winter on 87octane I averaged around 19mpg with my SDI Renegade the worst(breaking trail) being 17mpg and the best 22mpg....

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason I ask is that the '07 I bought just needs 87 according to BRP. The '04 SDIs ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, HAD to run 91 according to BRP when they came out. Then when the 2 year warranty was up, they said yeah, you can use 87 :cussing: :bash: .

I figure since I'm not abusing my motor & running it on the edge, I'll just use 87 next winter.

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
The reason I ask is that the '07 I bought just needs 87 according to BRP. The '04 SDIs ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, HAD to run 91 according to BRP when they came out. Then when the 2 year warranty was up, they said yeah, you can use 87 :cussing: :bash: .

I figure since I'm not abusing my motor & running it on the edge, I'll just use 87 next winter.[/b]
Do you think they said that as 04 was the first year for the SDI and they were unsure and concerned about warranty claims? Or perhaps with the re-mapping you mentioned they were able to better control timing and detonation and felt 87 was adequate?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you think they said that as 04 was the first year for the SDI and they were unsure and concerned about warranty claims?[/b]
After reading some BRP replies on the Ask BRP portion on DooTalk after the warranty period was up, I think they were covering their butt. They went from saying you had to run full synthetic to developing a semi-synthetic for the SDI motors as well.

Also, my sled was drinking oil & the ratio was in the mid 20s to 1. On DooTalk, BRP said all Rotax motors (including SDIs) are supposed to use oil @ a 45:1 ratio.

It'll be interesting to see how things go next winter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts