Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding my sled last weekend and was looking at the riding position when sitting. My knees are above my hips and this makes it hard on sitting up a little to absorb big bumps. I switched and rode my friends t-cat same year and your hips are aligned with my knees just fees more comfortable riding position. I am only 5-10 so its not like I am 7ft tall or anything. So I took my leather coat and folded it up and sat on it for a couple of miles wow what a diffrance. Know I need ideas on how to raise the seat a inch or so. I know this sounds crazy but give me some Ideas

Thanks
Duane

·
Registered
858 Posts
Actually, since I tryed the Rev, I've also been thinking of raising the seat. I will try to find a sea-doo seat and make it fit on my sled this summer.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
That makes sense....has the possibility of making the ride alot more comfortable for us taller guys! Let us know what you come up with!

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
i think AC has the right idea because those seats on the firecats and the rev's are much narrower than our mxz's.

·
Registered
61 Posts
it seems like if you raise your seat it would not fit as good around the tank.maybe you could slide your seat ahead to make it fit better.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been thinking of making something out of alum that goes from flat at the tunnel buy the gas tank and slopes upward toward the rear of the sled arround a inch to inch and a half. That way the seat would still fit arround the gas tank well. Or I have seen in the past a company that makes a two up seat that snaps over the trunk area. If we could make a molded seat cover in leather that would snap over the seat and raise it some.

Keep the ideas comming
Duane

·
Registered
221 Posts
First of all if you raise the seat will it interfer with the handlebars when turning? Just something to check before going any further. If I were to raise my seat I would want something light, something that would not soak up water and ,most importantly, something that will not rub through the tunnel or seat bottom. High density styrofoam comes to my mind. It comes in different thicknesses, light and easy to work with. But if you put something between the seat and tunnel, how are you to attach the front of the seat to its clips? Don't think you can raise the fuel tank any either as it is molded around the steering stem and steering brace. Sounds like something that can be done..... as a summer project.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well if your knees were hitting the handlebar after you raised your seat, a riser block could take car of that problem.

·
Registered
790 Posts
ttt

I curious to know if anyone has performed a modification to raise the seat on their sled and how they did it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
" know this sounds crazy but give me some Ideas"

Not crazy at all. The CK3 was definitely designed more for a lake racing type of rider position. It is a noticeable improvement (IMO) when hips are atleast inline with knees, if not slightly higher. Changing bar position is easy.

Any competent apholsterer could hook you up. The + is that you can also lose weight while raising the seat. 4-5lbs easy.

http://www.geocities.com/blackmxz/seatpage.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
I put a streetbike seat on my Formula. Works great. I raised the height 4 inches, but it's a bit more if you consider the bike seat is firmer. It's a bit cold up there though!

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
lvrotax Posted on Feb 21 2004, 08:52 AM
  I put a streetbike seat on my Formula. Works great. I raised the height 4 inches, but it's a bit more if you consider the bike seat is firmer. It's a bit cold up there though! 
How did that seat attatch, can't tell from pic. Did you remove original seat? My sled might look slick :undercover: with my solo seat on it!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used the original rear bike frame and chopped it down to its basic triangle. I then made 4 attatch brackets from steel, and riveted them to the tunnel. I put the seat on the frame and mocked up where I wanted the seat to be. Then, with 3/4 thinwall steel tube, I tacked everything together into one frame. Then just a matter of making a fibreglass fairing to make it look good, still using the stock side fairings. Fun project, but the glasswork was getting to me. Best of luck, if you decide to go for it. It'll be an attention-getter, thats for sure!

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts