Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this morning I woke up to our second snowy morning in about a week. its been snowing in the mountains for a few weeks but when you have to brush of the truck, it's really hard not to call in sick and go riding. we have around 2 feet of snow in the mountains, 2.5 more and you can say GAME ON ! any one else with snow ?

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I'm riding monday 10/20/07, the first day of my new season, for sure. The sleds are already tied down and the truck is hitched up and all the tanks are topped-off. We just got 18" in the last 2 days and about another foot on the way Saturday night/Sunday. There should be 3 feet at the upper elevations and at least 16" where I unload the trailer. Monday is forecasted to be sunny and 45 degrees. Looks like a truly epic first day. Much of the snow could be gone in a few more days so I'm there Monday for sure. My fall/spring riding spot is not very well known so I expect to find big untracked powder. The snow will be wet and wind-packed, but that's the norm here. Just makes for a more solid and longer-lasting base. Bringing the axe and a saw in case of fallen trees in the trail, I expect to find some. The wind has been ripping during this storm. That may provide some nice wind-berm jumps along with fallen trees. Of course I'm bringing all the cameras so you all will see what happens...

You say you've got 2 feet in the mountains? You should at least go out once! I'm going to be scoping out new hillclimbing spots and some backcountry snowboarding spots for my non-motorized friends. Even if I can't really get off the trails it's going to be fun. Plus think of all the things that need to be checked and tuned on the first ride of the year! All my suspension springs and tracks are loose for storage. You should want your first day to be marginal so you can make sure you're tuned right and not have major delays on the first epic day.

And seriously, when we are talking about mountain riding, many times "2 feet" can mean 6 inches on one side of a ridge and 3 feet on the other side, due to the way the wind packs the snow. In the Oregon cascades, east-facing slopes in the same general region *always* get more snow from major storms, period (because the wind pushes the snow off of west facing slopes and it all ends up on the relatively wind-protected east), and where I'm headed is all east-facing. I bet if you go out you'll find some deep drifts and it will be well worth it.

I was going to start a new thread with this but I just wonder if I'm going to be the first on SW (in north america) to ride this year? Maybe someone in Washington has already gone out? Alaska and Canada must have some snow...what about the lower 48?

·
Registered
185 Posts
supposed to get bout 6" tonight
[attachment=39650:untitled.bmp]
pic is from one of the cams at the winter park resort

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was going to start a new thread with this but I just wonder if I'm going to be the first on SW (in north america) to ride this year? Maybe someone in Washington has already gone out? Alaska and Canada must have some snow...what about the lower 48?[/b]
I have already riden twice this year. once on the mountain just behind my house and another at Echo Mountain Ski area after I finished up work got to go wind through the trees and blast up the runs.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm riding monday 10/20/07, the first day of my new season, for sure. The sleds are already tied down and the truck is hitched up and all the tanks are topped-off. We just got 18" in the last 2 days and about another foot on the way Saturday night/Sunday. There should be 3 feet at the upper elevations and at least 16" where I unload the trailer. Monday is forecasted to be sunny and 45 degrees. Looks like a truly epic first day. Much of the snow could be gone in a few more days so I'm there Monday for sure. My fall/spring riding spot is not very well known so I expect to find big untracked powder. The snow will be wet and wind-packed, but that's the norm here. Just makes for a more solid and longer-lasting base. Bringing the axe and a saw in case of fallen trees in the trail, I expect to find some. The wind has been ripping during this storm. That may provide some nice wind-berm jumps along with fallen trees. Of course I'm bringing all the cameras so you all will see what happens...

You say you've got 2 feet in the mountains? You should at least go out once! I'm going to be scoping out new hillclimbing spots and some backcountry snowboarding spots for my non-motorized friends. Even if I can't really get off the trails it's going to be fun. Plus think of all the things that need to be checked and tuned on the first ride of the year! All my suspension springs and tracks are loose for storage. You should want your first day to be marginal so you can make sure you're tuned right and not have major delays on the first epic day.

And seriously, when we are talking about mountain riding, many times "2 feet" can mean 6 inches on one side of a ridge and 3 feet on the other side, due to the way the wind packs the snow. In the Oregon cascades, east-facing slopes in the same general region *always* get more snow from major storms, period (because the wind pushes the snow off of west facing slopes and it all ends up on the relatively wind-protected east), and where I'm headed is all east-facing. I bet if you go out you'll find some deep drifts and it will be well worth it.

I was going to start a new thread with this but I just wonder if I'm going to be the first on SW (in north america) to ride this year? Maybe someone in Washington has already gone out? Alaska and Canada must have some snow...what about the lower 48?[/b]

We were planing on going last tuesday, but it warmed up a little and was raining pretty hard. And with the landscape of the terrain here, and short trail length we really need at least 4.5-5 feet of snow. Or the sleds will just get destroyed. Maybe if I hade better will power not to charge right away and just cruise, but unfortunitly that's not the case. We'll get to 5 feet really soon, and be shreadin' in no time. For now i'm just jealouse

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I was out partridge hunting this afternoon south of Apsley& there were a few snowflakes when the clouds came over. Supposed to be some flurries next week during the deer hunt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts