Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago in the UP the trails were perfect, so I was tearing it up for a good 150 miles.  Those miles were nothing under 80mph.  I stopped, then took off wide open got up to about 85, and I was like what the heck.  Looked down and the tach was way down where it should not be.  It read 8800 rpms.  Rode it like that till I could get to a ski-doo shop the next day at Calumet.  They took it apart and said the black buttons in the secondary melted.  Has anybody else experienced this?  I don't have RER but do have the HP27 clutch.  I was also told my sled had an rpm limiter. Is that true? How many rpms?

·
Registered
160 Posts
2tone:

I was riding my 02 800 in Canada and experienced the same problem. The sled felt like it was unbeatable. When I squeezed the trigger and looked at the tach, it was at 8600. I haven't looked at the secondary yet, but I will now. When I first noticed this, I only had about 600 miles on the machine. BTW, I doo have RER.

Did they install new updated buttons for you or just the same stuff that will wear out again?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They installed the same stuff as what wore out.  At least it was warrantied.  I was just thankful they figured out what was wrong with it.  It would have made for a long week of riding since it happened on the first day of my trip.  My machine had just over 1000 miles when this happened.  I did talk to an owner of a '02 800 with RER while there.  His machine had almost 3000 miles on it, and he has had no problems at all with the sled.  Maybe ski-doo made a crappy bunch of buttons and did not catch the error right away.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I saw in the catalog the Teflon (?) buttons, boy do they ever want an arm and a leg for them. I usually just replace the regular ones at the end of the season, when I've got the secondary apart. I think they're less than a buck each. They're more than that. I bought 3 today andsome other stuff, but I can't find the bill

The Canadian price for the teflon ones is $37.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Goodwin makes replacement buttons (part no. 421-104) for $10 each that look similar to Ski-Doo OEM buttons . I have them in this year and they seem to be wearing just fine! Maybe try a set of those instead of the $26 each Doo teflon buttnos.

·
Registered
172 Posts
the only way plastic will melt, is if it gets very hot.  2tone, you said "A couple weeks ago in the UP the trails were perfect, so I was tearing it up for a good 150 miles.  Those miles were nothing under 80mph."     from that i am guessing you were pushing that thing fairly hard.    your clutchs got hot and melted the buttons(you might want to check the little black buttons in the primary too), after running hard for a long time the heat starts to transfer further and further into the clutch, once is got to the buttons and gets very hot, they melt.     Teflon buttons won't do anything to prevent this, they only have teflon inserts, so once the clutchs get hot like before the rest of the button will melt, and you will have wasted 90 bucks on teflon buttons         stop every once in awhile and let the sled cool down, everything gets hot after pushing hard for awhile.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You really pushed the sled hard and the heat does finally get the whole clutch heat soaked. You probably wont have any more problems, just let it cool down every once in a while! Awesome Riding!!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have high milage on my 800 renegade and have had no trouble with my clutches they stay cool most of the time, but when the temp is warmer I tend to stop more often to let them cool and no trouble. Ran 3400 km's on the first belt, it was still in good enough shape for a spare, I have 4800 km's now and it looks like the season is just about done for us.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I wonder if it would help to take off the windage plates on the secondary to allow the clutch to cool if you knew in advance you where to be riding hard... say in the mountains?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Good idea Bobber. If you are riding in the mountains the windage plates are more of a liability than an asset.  Windage plates are for high speed riding and they do hinder the cooling of the secondary.  As for the buttons melting on this guys sled, I think he has an unusual circumstance.  I am riding with several guys with the new 02 800's with the RER secondary and so far no problems.  This is all aggressive riding and includes 1000 miles in Canada at high speed.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
that sounds good. i have an rer machz one thing that i have noticed and its only cause im a little bit of a performance nut and notice the little things.when its backshifting to slow and it just dosnt seem to havethe same pop. just not the same sa when u first got it. its your tention on the secondary. the rer luve big pounds. and after a little while and reversing the spring will spin a little and u will loose lbs. take it appart and reset it. if u can open your secondary with the tool easily. its to loose. it should be hard to open lots of lbs. just try it and u will see. if your machzrer is not beating anything on the lake reset your secondary. put in the second or the third hole thats what i have and it rocks...

·
Registered
361 Posts
In my opinion, Ski-Doo's secondary clutches (before RER models, as I'm not familiar with their setup "RER") run high preloads (12-25lbs.) as compared to Polaris (6-14lbs.) and Cats (?, but are easy to disassemble by hand). I have found that this causes quicker wearing buttons and bushings in the secondary. Keeping the secondary clean (removing belt dust) improves the life and performance. It is also not recommended to clean the secondary bushings and teflon coated cams with acetone or brake cleaner as it may remove the teflon coating. I use either Gunk Super Lubricant with teflon or WD 40 and always wipe dry. I have also tried the new Goodwin buttons this year and am very impressed (barely a flat spot after 900miles) as I usually replace the original buttons twice a season. I would also recommend that trail and off trail riders that do little top end running, remove the windage plates (if so equipped) to help dissipate heat better (longer belt life, better performance due to less belt slippage and less wear on bushings and buttons due to binding from heat expansion). I also think the TRA's wear parts (buttons, bushings and rollers) are well designed and last long before rebuild (3000-5000miles), but the Ski-Doo secondary is a high wearing design (too much tension), as compared to Polaris and Cats clutches are the opposite (faster wearing primaries "cover bushings and rollers") and longer life secondaries.
Just my opinion and observations.

·
Registered
316 Posts
MachZ69, what holes are you talking about on an RER secondary? I believe the spring is flat on both ends. I haven't looked at mine since last year. Whats up?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
well limskii hi there; im starting to see that. but i also like a lot of preload on cats. and fast machz no the rer has 1 flat side. u still have the holes in the cam that u can adjust.....lol the funny part is thats was exactly what i thought. but beeing the way that i am i just to take it apart to see what was cooking...lol and i also noticed my buttons where wearing down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts