Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im back. As some of you may know im currently working on a 1992 skidoo mach 1. The secondary clutch seems to be frozen in the closed position i guess you could say, and i cant rotate it open like i should be able to to change the drive belt. Can you guys point me in the right direction because im having a real hard time with this clutch, i started to take it off and cant get it off with out removing th edrive belt, and cant get it to go back on without removing the drivebelt. Any tips for getting it free again?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
should be a tool in your tool kit to screw into the secondary that will open it

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
what FB said. the doo secondary is not like the rest.

·
Registered
35 Posts
have someone apply the brake and then try to turn the back half of the clutch and work the sheave apart and use the belt as a wedge to open the sheave then you should be able to get the belt off

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whats the tool look like? I have both the primary and secondary off, but am having clearance issues because the primary is hitting the side of the belly pan. I hear you can loosen the belly pan to gain the clearance to get the clutch out? Is the tool like a bolt? i dont think i have the tool.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
yeah those chassis make geting the primary out a #####. I will find a pic of the tool and post if someone doesn't beat me too it.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Attached is an illustration of the secondary clutch / belt removal tool. It is essentially a 6mm X 50 mm bolt which threads into the stationary side of the clutch hub and when threaded into, applies force to the sliding half of the pulley. Be care to lubricate the threads with good quality excessive pressure moly grease before applying any force to the seized secondary. I'd suggest dowsing the secondary shaft, spring and bushings with penetrating oil and let it sit for a week first. If you bust it don't worry.. I have a few spares and I'd be happy to give you one all set up for your year sled.

[attachment=37506:Belt_removal_tool.doc]

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i got the secondary off, and when it was off i could hold one side of the pully and pull on the other half and it moved so im assuming its not frozen and will shift correct? The sled will stand the skis up starting off, and ive had it up around 80mph or so so it must be functioning correctly right? If i just buy a 6x50mm bolt could i use that to open the primary when i need to change the belt on the trail? By the way i got the clutches back on so no more issues i hope.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
If i just buy a 6x50mm bolt could i use that to open the primary when i need to change the belt on the trail?[/b]
Yes, but make sure its threaded all the way up the shank of the bolt

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
how long does it need to be, and which hole does it thread into?[/b]

The one that the arrow points to. Seriously, there's an arrow on the side pointing at the hole.
If you look at it you'll notice that there's 3 bolts that adjust where the belt rides within the clutch. They are spaced evenly around the sheave.
The 4th odd hole out is the one that the tool threads into.

Jeff

·
Registered
35 Posts
i have a 92 mach-1, it only has two adjusting holes and no sheave seperating hole, my gf's brother has a 92 mach-1 with only two holes. i have two 94 mach-1's with the three adjustment holes and the sheave seperating hole

1 - 13 of 13 Posts