Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the secondary clutch on a 2001 xc 800 is the same on a 2002 , or 2003 ? The manuals that you can get from the Polaris website show a regular style of clutch, compared to the roller type of my 2001.

·
Registered
216 Posts
According to the catalog I got from team performance, the clutch kit is different between the 2001 and 2002-03. There is also a different kit for an xc800 2002-03 with a slp pipe. Their website isTEAM PERFORMANCE SOLUTIONSand here is another oneTEAM INDUSTRIES. Roller secondary makes me go :p

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check that web site out. I thought there was a difference, but was wondering why Polaris would switch after one year

·
Registered
53 Posts
What you are probably seeing is that I believe the 2001 800 was non valved, The only difference should be helix and spring. The clutch it self should be the same unless its a roller.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sometimes T.P.S. changes there clutch specs after further testing. This happened to me, I purchased my kit from reichards performance and it was just the clutch with a helix and secondary spring. After i smoked a belt I called T.P.S. directly and asked them if they could shed some light on my problem. They asked me for info on the kit I had received. I told them and they told me that they had an updated the specs and kit for my sled (2000 XC700SP), which included a different helix and a different spring for my primary. So after I had spent another $89 on those parts i was pleasently surprised to see 120 on my speedo again with a 1-1/4 track. Not that I do that all of the time but it seems to work perfectly. T.P.S. stands for "truely
performance stuff :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those T.P.S clutches are wicked, I've heard alot of great things about them. My stock clutch looks similar to TPS (roller area), but the performance probably alot different. Curious to see how this one works, Does anybody know of any spring, helix combos for it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Are we talking about a polaris roller secondary vs. a team performance (T.P.S.) roller secondary or the difference between T.P.S. kits from year to year. I know polaris used "their own" secondary for a couple of years. Now they use T.P.S. secondary. Polaris's roller clutch used three rollers and was basically the same as a regular secondary using the same diameters to provide slots for the rollers and by using three rollers instead of two you could only have one set of angles. The T.P.S. as you probably know uses two rollers and they are farther apart, as well as the bushing that the helix slides on is farther apart fron the other side of the clutch. "More efficient" is the best way to describe it without going into great detail. By the way i beleive T.P.S. manufactures O.E.M. clutches for polaris. I read a really good article from a snowtech magazine at the beginning of last year that convinced me to give the T.P.S. a try and they do work very very well. SWRules

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info , any suggestions for spring set up for both clutches? I have a silver spring in the 2nd hole on the secondary, And an almond spring on the primary. Is there any Polaris or EPI springs that would work better? thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts