Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im going to take my sled ot of storage this weekend an put in a seconday clutch kit I got over the winter, I was just wondering if it is a big deal to take it apart or realitivly simply take a few bolts out and make shure the spring doesnt pop out or if there is alot more to it, and weather any special tools are required.
also any tips or tings too look for while I have it apart thanks
sled is a 1994 Indy trail deluxe 488 can cooled, thanks for any help

·
Registered
644 Posts
You'll need a stout snap ring plier for the big, old ring - and safety glasses!

A clutch compression tool would be handy also if you can borrow one, that or get a friend to lend an extra set of hands. I normally just get down on the floor, lay the clutch outside down (on a board or cardboard), and twist the top (inner) sheave CCW while holding the lower (outer) with my left hand. Once tension is off the helix, I grab both sheaves with my left hand and hold them and either tap the helix with a soft faced mallet or press it down with my shoe. (Yes, there's some contortions involved!) If the helix won't fairly easily slide down, you might as well soak it since it is a steel sleave which has rather close tolerances on a steel shaft - there can be corrosion issues. (In our coastal climate, I would say there would be for sure on any machine of that age. I can't speak for where you live though.) IF you can get the helix down and can hold it or the sheaves with one hand, you might be able to open the snap ring with a plier in you other hand. (The extra set of hands can be real handy!) Once the ring is off, there should be a washer behind it. Keep track of that. If the helix moves freely, it should slide off rather easily. It may hang up when it tries to slide over the snap ring groove. If it does, push the helix back in and touch up any burrs thereon with a file - very lightly. With the helix off, the spring will unwind and be free to come out. Look at which holes the ends of the spring were in. Make sure you look at the sliding bearing on the inner sheave. (It slides on the outer surface of the helix.) If it is worn well into the bronze portion, it should probably be replaced. Three screws hold it in, but it will likely need to be tapped out with a drift or punch from inside.

I can't help you with after market parts details. If the factory parts are up to spec, that clutch should have been working okay. If it wasn't then make sure the shimming washers and wear parts are replaced as necessary. Otherwise, even a kit won't likely help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts