Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought my 93 phazer in the fall. i was excited and happy and i liked the machine all winter even tho it wasnt runing totally 100% I like the light weight nimble machine thats seems reliable. i need to put a new shock in the back, a new track a new set of ski skins and may as well toss on some new carbides. also could use new slides when i change the track out. i could put a fair amount of money into it. i bought the machine for 1500$ canadian. ive seen 2 ads for 98zr 600 efi artic cats lately for 2000 bucks. one has a rebuilt motor and new track. i have a friend with a zr or a zrt 600 efi and its a real nice machine.....so i dont know wheather i should abandon the phazer and go for a bigger newer machine or fix up the phazer. someone throw some pros and cons at me! thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you go with the Phazer you are going to have a sled that will last forever, the ZR,s are much better handling on the trails with alot more power. The cats won't be as easy to throw around and they won't be as reliable as the Phazer...It as depends on where you ride, for trail riding I might consider the Cats, for ice fishing and boondocking etc.. I would stick with the Phazer ..Good Luck

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you go with the Phazer you are going to have a sled that will last forever, the ZR,s are much better handling on the trails with alot more power. The cats won't be as easy to throw around and they won't be as reliable as the Phazer...It as depends on where you ride, for trail riding I might consider the Cats, for ice fishing and boondocking etc.. I would stick with the Phazer ..Good Luck[/b]
im not all that power hungry...i dont care much how fast i go across lakes. Id rather not get stuck off trail..i dont know which is better off trail in powder and deep stuff.
i found the phazer good on trails but not wide groomed trails i mean narrow ones. the kind ya gotta pull off a little to let somone by. i was leavin everyone behind the trails and i liked that. but that coulda been in certain conditions....i noticed near the end of the season the snow was a little stickier and it was gettin a little tippy on me.
i do get a little jelous when i see people with some power but i know mine isnt at its full potention either...carbs werent cleaned in who knows how long...i rarely spun my track from a stop all season!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
If you go with the Phazer you are going to have a sled that will last forever, the ZR,s are much better handling on the trails with alot more power. The cats won't be as easy to throw around and they won't be as reliable as the Phazer...It as depends on where you ride, for trail riding I might consider the Cats, for ice fishing and boondocking etc.. I would stick with the Phazer ..Good Luck[/b]
Yup sorta agree

Phazer is a 410LBS sled vs the 480LBS Cat

56hp vs 105hp

15mpg vs 9mpg

I would stick with Phazer UNLESS you spend $3500 get something much newer

·
Registered
293 Posts
It sounds like you want to stay with the Phazer, you should clean it up I am sure that the clutches could use some TLC..You would be amazed what a little time on your clutches could do for putting power to the track ...I had mine totally rebuilt, cleaned and set up properly it made a big difference...Year after year you don't notice the big differences in ride and performance, but when you do replace shocks,belts etc..etc., then you say holy cow I can't believe how much better it is....The Phazer s are known for there reliability so if you do end up putting $1000 into it, you still will get a decent price for it if you were to sell in a couple of years..

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm on my second ZR and I can say if you spend around $1500 bucks on a used one plan on spending at least another $200 to $300 or more to have shocks rebuilt and all the little stuff. I had a Vmax and I can say that thing was a tough machine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just got a new machine this year it is a 99 zl 600 my old machine was a polaris indy 440 one thing that i was worried about was being able to throw around the new one, but to my surprise it is much easier all because of the power now.

But my friend has a phaser with 16000 miles on it and he never did any thing under the hood

Pat

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i suppose if i put 500 or 600 bucks into my phazer and bring the total money spent up to 2000 bucks or so i would have a solid machine where i could spend 2000 on another machine and still have parts to buy...

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The ZRs have run good for me and so have the Phazers , the gas milage is not that bad on my wifes Zr and she seems to not have any problems on the trails .

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Bought an '01 ZR800 new. In 5 years and 4000 miles, I only had a recoil give me a problem. I don't ride easy either. Also NEVER got less than 12 mpgs. In my mind, the ZR's are some of the most reliable out there. Very easy to throw around on the trails.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd go with the zr just because my friend has a 95 phazer with about 5000 miles on it and he has had nothing but problems with it.. especially the track locking up when he was riding it. Plus it handle about as good as my old jag... ZR would be a much more comfortable ride plus when you go to sell it again it will be worth alot more than if you fixed up your phazer.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I say stick with the Phazer. Mine is a total blast to drive. I've been considering a PZII, I wouldn't mind a little more stability in front and the better track selection but, Mine is lighter. I think I will keep mine until the tunnel folds up then look for a II.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts