Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i crashed my 00 zr500 the estimate just showed that the bulkhead and some other stuff was broke.  So I got the insurance check and being my dealer dosn't have a mechanic in the summer I'm doing the work.  Well I got everthing off and found out the tunnel is bent pretty good.  So heres my question if I replace the tunnel what do you do about a serial number being its stamped on the tunnel.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You got your work cut out for ya.  That is not an easy job.  My buddy and I replaced the frame on his 98 PS600, there are exactly 112 rivits to snap in.  Better get your hands on a "Big Daddy Riviter"

Good luck!

As for the serial number, personaly I wouldn't care too much, however you could cut it out, polish it up and rivit it too you new tunnel.

newf

·
Registered
6 Posts
i had a tunnel replaced on one of my sleds once . when they were finished they used a special stamp to inbed the serial # in it. good luck its a big job.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I would worry about it. I talked to a DNR officer as I wasthinking about buying a sled that had been wrecked and the tunnel replaced. He told me if the numbers were ot there and a officer was suspicous about the sled being stolen he could take you and the sled to jail. Kevin

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys.  I'm thinking that the bulkhead is whats pulling the tunnel the way it is.  I talked to the local mechanic and he said usually the tunnel will go back to normal once you get it off the bulkhead.  You guys are right its definetly a big job but I got all summer to do it and I've done some pretty challenging projects before.  This way I have an excuse to work on the sled all summer.

A

·
0 Posts
I replaced the tunnel on my 96 ZRT and had to take my registration and the registration from the used tunnel I bought to the Sec. of State with all receipts for parts.  They issued a new VIN number that is recorded in their database and on the new registration.  After 2 weeks I received in the mail a new VIN tag(metal) from the Sec of State to apply to my tunnel.  With this applied you don't need to get rid of the old tunnel VIN numbers.  I carry all documentation from the Sec of State with me along with my new registration with the new VIN on it.  The key is that if the numbers change you MUST get a new VIN.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You can get a new VIN number nameplate directly from AC. The procedure involves cutting the numbers out of your old tunnel and sending them to Thief River.  A phone call ahead of time is recommended.

·
Registered
54 Posts
LOL..this is on a tunnel you are replacing. Smashed, crashed, hashed, bashed, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts