Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Night Riding or Day Riding.

I know that I enjoy night riding a lot more then day riding. I love the cold air, the glow of the gauges, and the ability to see all other sleds comming and going even thru trees that in the day time would have been a blind corner.

I dont know the statistics but i do know of some fatal accidents that happend at night. I also know that your chances to meet up with someone druck is greater at night. But ill take the chance.

Day riding means more traffic, blind corners, and people staring at the view and not the trail.

If I had to choose I would say it is much safer night riding especially if your the type that likes to go a little faster then normal.

What are your thoughts.

·
Registered
114 Posts
When we sled usually eight of us...husbands and wifes, we usually get up at 6 A.M. and are on the trails by 7:30 A.M. ...there are very few sleds out that early...the trails are set-up hard...and its just beautiful seeing the sun come up and you are the only ones on the trail...we then sled somewhere for breakfast and back on the trails...we usually try to get back by sundown...by then the ladys are ready for a hot bath...after that alot of story telling goes on...can't seem to keep the eyelids open after 10 P.M.... and do the same thing over again....Night riding just doesn't seem to fit into the picture for us...Al.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I agree w/ya Marty...the night takes the blindness of oncoming traffic away. I like being able to see the headlights coming or the warning lights of the groomers...gives you those extra few seconds to react. Too bad those deer don't wear headlights though. :p

Plus w/jetting, it seems like the sled runs better at night....not after I install Tempa Flow though, ha, ha.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I feel nights are safer. Especially if it's snowing. I have trouble to see the trail bumps. Headlights give you a good shadow behind the bumps.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I guess I prefer day riding only because I can see everything out in front of me. I feel a little restricted at night by my headlight which you are over running at 50mph. I realize this is the speed limit on most trails but the lakes are a little different. I do like the fact that you can see oncoming traffic easier at night but that doesn't outweigh the other issues for me.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I agree w/ ya there, I like day time riding a little better too.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Night, I have yet to outride how far my CK-3 headlights could shine. My 97 was a different story. My RX-1 should a little bit better than the CK-3, Brighter bulbs with more juice going to them.

As far as drucks go, what are they machzzzz1? Some kind of animal native to Canada :p

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love when its snowing at night. Having the snow wisk by your helmet makes everything look like your going 200mph. when your only doing 60km.

I agree with ya Jim on the sled running better. A good -16 night and the Mach really comes alive. I pity any sled that tries to pass me on a long straite cus the Mach not only accels like a bat out of hell, but it chucks snow left right and center. Especially with the short snowflap. LOL.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, Mighty. The migrated from Michigan, Dangerous little buggers. They seek out heat and attack it. If your not heads up your going to have a bad day. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with the Machman I like to ride at night with a little snow fall & everything is sparkling. But in our area that is when the deer are moving & sometimes are using our trails for getting around, not so good!

·
Registered
518 Posts
I would have to agree with Al. I think it's safer in the morning before 10AM. Less people. It Is nice to be able to see around corners at night, but it's also easier to over ride a corner in the dark. I like to see where I'm going and everything around me.
SWRules

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You know what else makes it dangerous is Sun glare and people with fogged visors looking out of a quarter sized hole. Thats another reason I put night as a bit safer. The light from your sled gives you a great view of the snow but theres no glare.

I cant belive the emount of people that accept the fact that there visor is fogged and continue driving with 75% less visiblity.

There is a reason stupid accidents happen, thats just one of them.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The only thing about night time riding is when you go with few polaris riders and one them , well you know what , then its a little harder to tow home . This happen to me and I got pictures of it . :D

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
We ride both day and night,but i personally prefer riding
at night.Most of our rides are longer than 8 hours anyways as i tend to get mis-directed occasionaly so night
riding is a given.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you are night riding in an open area so you can attain a significant velocity, the only way you could NOT outrun your headlights is to have a landing light from a 747!!!

Night riding is a blast... I like both and end up riding into the evenings alot! I think that you can see better at night if you are in tight twisty trails where you can't have crazy speeds, other wise your visibility is reduced in general and you should slow down.. it allows you too see another sled because of its lights but you won't see that unmarked 5 foot trench or open water at 80+ mph before its too late!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I prefer daytime. Less drunks and better visibility! Around here the deer tend to migrate onto the groomed trails a lot more at night than they do in the daytime! :blahblah:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts