Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(venting...)

Well, after countless hours spent moving to a new server, transferring databases, picking line by line through hundreds and hundreds of files of code, tweaking, and attempting to fix countless bugs, the new server appears to be failing under the load.

Our problem is not new, very few server hosts even want to attempt to host a site with over 100 concurrent forum connections, not to mention over 8.5 million hits a month.

In our search for better servers, we erroneously thought that we had found one that would be able to support this site. We figured wrong. Today, at 65 forum user connections and 12 gigs of transfer already, the server gave up and went south for the winter. Spending hours with tech support, we have come to the painful conclusion that our only alternative at this time is a dedicated server/raq.

We absolutely grit our teeth when the word dedicated server is used. This is a VERY expensive option for a free web site to handle.

The purpose of this post is to just inform our users as to what our issues are at this time. Our time is limited at the moment, as we do not have much time to get this site off of this shaky server, and we can't go back to the one we had before. Unfortunately, our previous server host was actaully glad to see us go. The shear load that this site was causing was actually slowing down the rest of their 3000 sites that they host. We used more gigabytes of transfer per month that all 3000 sites combined.

As we look for options on budgeting a dedicated server, we will post more info to let users know the status of this situation and the hard decisions that may come with it.

I appreciate everyone's patience will this ongoing problem.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Well...that sucks....

What are the options? More advertising? Memberships?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks for the update.  I was just getting ready to post and ask why a lot of photos were not showing up, but I guess I know why now.  Hope everything works out, this site is great.  I hope it doesn't come down to paying for the site.  That will be a hard decision for me because I don't like to pay for website, but this site is great and I do use it the most by far.

Great Job!!!!!!!!!  

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Corey,
Thanks for all of the good work. Just let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Dave

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
This is just an idea, that I am sure you guys have thought of, but here it goes. If were getting 8.5 million hits per month and we have over 2600 dedicated users, not to mention the amount of guests that freguent this forum then is it possible for the site to get sponsored by some of the manufacturers. Arctic Cat, Ski-Doo, Yamaha, and Polaris should be contacted regarding supporting a great website. I hope this is an option

·
Registered
319 Posts
why dont you make this site smaller like it was before.get rid of all the polls,trail condition page,vintage sled page,classified page,forum question problem page you should have a e-mail
address for problem page.people can post the trail,vintage &
classified questions on the general page.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Dang, 8.5 Million a month.  I wish I had that kinda hits on my webpage.  
 Lets us know what we can do to help.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
as per usual-powder boy is right(because he rides a pantera-like me)--but i think that the big 4 sled makers should belly up to the bar for the servers

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm fairly new to this great site, but have learned tons. I hate paying for a website also. But the info I have gained has saved me money that would have gone to the dealer. I'd glady pay to become a "member" to keep this site up. I'd say what about $30 would be fair. Membership plus a free sticker??

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
With those kind of hits and the member numbers,I am sure there are alot of companies that would love to advertise on this site.I would hate to have to pay for it ,but I guess I would.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have to agree with mach1, maybe we could do without some of the extra things. Also, I don't know if this would help, but maybe after a certain length of time some posts could be deleted to make room for new one's. Ex.- If a post hasn't been used for say.....6 month's, it could be removed. Alot of times the same questions come up again and again because some of us (me included) are to lazy to go back and look at older posts. Just a thought!

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
I agree except that 6 months is too long. If a post is inactive for 30 days it should be deleted. I know that all of these ideas sound great ( as far as shrinking the forums ) however we have to realize that this is a growing website and there are only going to be more and more members and alot more posts. I think that corey is on the right track. we need to find a bigger server.
     Paying for membership is tuff. Although we have 2600 members we might be lucky to get 100 guys to send in the money. I know I would as other dedicated members would, but people dont like to pay for websites. The sticker idea is good. It kind of went down hill recently. However someone needs to pick a sticker and put it on production. I have a guy who makes stickers but Im sure other members do to. We should sell stickers I agree, but its going to take alot to get this off the ground.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I agree with powderboy that 6 monts is too long.  I almost would say that 30 days is almost to long.  I'm not sure about everybody else but i only look at the first 3 pages in each forum, who has time to look through 40 pages old stuff.  Besides people won't look through the old stuff if they have a question they just ask it, instead of rooting through the archives.  

This brings me to another idea, maybe we should to a poll on how many pages you look through on each forum.  Anybody want to post that...........zrt600mtncat(just pulling your chain)

That might be a idea how about limiting each forum to lets say 10 pages.  Or is this the wrong approach?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I like the idea of a manufactor sponser.  

This sight is very high end.  And as mentioned before this is the best source for R&D.  

Corey why dont you continue to run this sight for free but have a membership option that gives the members some extra features and powers over the regulars.  Im sure theres a few of us that would donate a little just to help you out so tell us what you need to keep things going and lets work this out.  Even if we need to bother the manufactors to sponser us.  Thats what i do for a living is bother people (Sales).

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I don't think that it is the amount of forum pages that is the problem...the problem is that there are alot of users online at a time, each of them taxing the system.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Being new to computers and such,I don't have any qualified opinions as to the best fix.
I do think that some sort of manufacturer support could be nice but that could maybe come with restrictions as to content and such?
I would be willing to pay a reasonable membership fee to belong to this site as it is by far the best snowmobiling site on the web,specialy if it came with a sticker or some such"exclusive goodie"
Any thing we can do to help Corey,let us know

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Whatever it takes to keep this site going, I'm in.
If its a yearly membership fee, then its OK with me.  But it is a good site for the big 4 to get involved with some controlled advertising.  I can't believe they wouldn't be game with such a captive audience.

FishHog

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rocketman @ Feb. 05 2002, 3:39pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't think that it is the amount of forum pages that is the problem...the problem is that there are alot of users online at a time, each of them taxing the system.[/b][/quote]
Rocketman is correct. It is not the size of the forums, it's the number of users on the forum AND the rest of the site at one time, AND the amount of visitors the site gets each day.

Trimming off older posts, decreasing the number of forums, etc., would only save disk space, something that we were able to easily overcome when we switched servers...

I would like to take a second to thank everyone that has contacted us with advice. We have had numerous emails from users that had ideas or contacts that can help. We are sifting through them, one at a time, to find if one can provide us the service we need. We apologize upfront if we cannot contact all of them due to the number we received.

The staff of SW have already met this afternoon to discuss options. Many ideas were brought up and a general direction and focus was devised. We contacted nearly 15 server hosts today and have begun to compile the information we received.

At this time, we have several viable solutions that appear to solve our issues. Unfortunately, it will take some time before we are ready to go with any option. Racks will need to be built, servers setup, etc. In other words, we may have to live with this current server for a week or two.

Once again I would like to thank everyone for their support. I will provide a status on this issue in the days ahead.

Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What about SW becoming a server host and cater to snowmobile clubs that want to have a website of there own, or is that more equipment and employee's than is possible?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts