Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how to get a little more out of my 2001 Zr 500 EFI.  Everything is completely stock, and I was just wondering if  the EFI limits me.  I would like to upgrade a little without burning  it up.  Only ride about 800-1000 miles a year, so I don't want to find myself with the hood up everytime I go ride.  Any suggestions?

If its not a CAT its a dog.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Too bad you don't have a 2000 model.  The 2001 EFI's have a non-removable chip.  This means no aftermarket pipe/chip combo.  On the other hand, the ZR500EFI is a strong engine, and is know to be a leader in the 500 class.

The only thing you can do is get a d&d clutch kit.  This will wake up your 500.  The ZR500 makes most HP at 8500-8700RPM, clutching will help you achive that RPM more quickly, prevent overreving and backshift faster.

In addition you could stud yout track, more grab is better preformance.

newf

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
What primary spring do you have now?? I think its red and if it is get the cat purple (brings up the engagement a little). the next thing is to go 1 tooth smaller gear on the top.....this will help mid range and wont hurt top end.....all sleds are geared 10-15% to tall from the factory. stay away from clutch kits unless you always want to be tweaking when snow conditions change because when they make up kits they operate under controlled conditions and we all know conditions change all the time. a spring and gear is only about 50 bucks canadian a cheap and good investment.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The ZR500 in question is an EFI.  Thus " tweaking when snow conditions change" will not be an issue.  A clutch kit for this sled will be the best choice for a preformance upgrade.

If you do decide to get a clutch kit, depending on howmany miles are on the sled, also get new cam arm pins and washers. These pretty much need to be replaced after 2000 miles.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
my 02ZR800 EFI with bolth the D&D kit and Black Magic kit varied in performance with snow conditions........NO LIE....I found them to be a waste of time......Just for everyones info the Black Magic kit was the better of the two by a long shot and the kit of my choice.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
BUT THEN AGAIN MY 800 NEVER WORKED OUT OF THE BOX.........THATS WHY I BOUGHT THE EARLY RELEASE ZR 900

·
Registered
533 Posts
When I added a D&D kit to my 600, it ran dead even with a 2001 ZR800.  Time and time again, the sleds ran neck and neck up to 100mph on the speedo.

The 800 was stock at the time.  Since then my bud has installed a d&d kit and now smokes me.  His 800 is a carb version.

newf  

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The only things available for the efi models are a mono block head,Exauhst can.Reeds,Clutch kit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2000 500 efi, it has the same clutching as the 2001. Yellow/white front spring, 46.5 gram wieghts, 53/51 helix. I have found that this sled will pull better if you loosen your rear clutch all the way. You will still have plenty of rpm's 85-8700.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have tried a lot of stuff in my 500 and the clutch kit from CSE RACING seems to be the best. They will also tell you the 500 likes to be geared taller to 21/38. My sled is still a work in progress but has been able to run mid 90's in a 1000 feet and CSE's often breaks 100. Go to their web site for results of the races they attend. I also have put their kit in the wifes 800 efi cce and it made a world of difference. I was very disapointed in the 800 before clutching and now it runs hard.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hey newf I have a D&D pipe and chip(trail performance), D&D clutch and can on my 00ZR600EFI and when I radared it, it wouldn't go past 93 mph. I don't know if the clutch is set up wrong or the weather was bad(it was warm about 0-1 degree) I find it has A lot more giddy up and go than stock, But I don't know whats going on. I thought it would have more top end. I am thinking of gearing to 22-41 and Delta 2 reeds next year. I don't want it to be a drag sled either, I want a good trail sled, but I also want to know that it will go if I want the odd radar run.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Little green sixer,

How many miles are on your clutch!  Arctic Cat clutches are high maintenance.  After 2000 miles on my zr, my peek RPM dropped to 7700 and I was no longer able to get over 90mph.  I ended up replaceing the cam pins, washers and weight bushings.  They were worn out.  Parts cost 47 canadian.  Now my zr revs up to 8400 and will top 100mph.

newf

·
Registered
575 Posts
I just had my D&D clutch installed this year( springs weights and helix) Maybe I should do the cam pin and washers. I do have 120 pics in already. And we all know how good this winter was, I did not put that many miles on this year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts