Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running a 98 MXZ 583 and having considerable difficulties with the suspension. It rides like a bucking bronco. Soaks up the bumps alright, but the rebound kicks me in the pants. Not the greatest feeling in the world. I usually last the 8 seconds, but enough is enough. I am a man of considerable dimensions at 275 lbs. The whoop de do bumps are killing the back. Any and all assistance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
First what is the rear spring cam set at.  For 275 you should be on number 4 or 3.  3 Will bottom out for you on hard bumps but will be nice and soft for trail.  4 is where i would put it.  The numbers relate to the height of each side of the cam.  The tallest side is number 4 and the shortest side is 1.   Make sure that both sides are exactly the same.  Also they only turn one way so if they dont turn one way go the other way and lift the machine up of the ground to take the weight of the track to adjust.

Then on your belt cover you will find what bombardier recommends for your weigh for the center and front shocks.  Go to that setting on the center and front skis.  

Then if it is darting tighten the center spring one more notch.  If it stops darting but cornering feels weak tighten the front skis.  

hopfully this will fix your problem.  But if you have it set up and the ride is still crap then you might just be stuck with it.  

There is a suspention improvment kit called the ETS Kit by AD bovin.  A few people on this board said it made night and day diffrence with the SC-10 suspention found on your sled.  

Its not much money and its suppost to control the rebound.  Also maybe a better pair of shocks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Good info above. I have the A.D. Bovin ETS kit on my 97 670 MXZ and It help considerably on the bumpy trails. Its $135 US an I think its well worth it. But if you are drag racing yu wont get the good weight transfer you use too. I just loosen my ACM nut if Im going to race and it works pretty good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the rear cam set on 3. I originally had the center and front set per the recommendations on the sticker on the belt cover. I adjusted from there to get the darting under control. It handles real nice, soaks up the bumps, but kicks me in the parts on the rebound. I am not sure where to go from here. Is it possible that the shocks are not working properly on the rebound cycle (something wrong in the valving)?

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
the ets kit is the answer to your prayers.helps with the rebound kick the sc-10 is known for. I would add this kit and you'll never regret it,except when you race someone,they tend to make the sled spin more.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Are u using the stock springs? I had to put some rated for up to 380 pounds (I'm 230) and cam set to max to get it to stop bottoming in muguls when going fast. I got the ETS kit and it did make a huge difference but I think the problem will never completly go away. It's probably the high spring tension that makes the sled go up too fast, it wouldn't happened if you stay on your seat and apply the same pressure all the time on the springs but that's abit difficult to doo in rough terrain.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Maybe our rear shock is toast and you are losing the damping effect. You're sitting on all springs and that's why its bouncing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Paul,
Not a new rider, had machines for a few years now. Why do you ask?
All, going to pull the shock out this weekend and inspect. Then likely pick up the ETS kit to hopefully cure the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts