Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 1991 mach 1 with a 617 rotax and ive been reading alot about people its good to make sure you dial in your clutch. also read a thread about best mods and next to studs was clutching.

Im confused, what does this do, i mean whats wrong with my clutching now? how come its a good mod? and how does a person know if they need to do it? if they do need to do it, how do they do it?

lots of questions i know but you guys just know so #### much about this stuff, its hard to not ask  

Thank you Zagg

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Well, "dialing in" your clutching basically allows your engine to use its power more efficiently for your needs. With a CVT (Continuosly Variable Transmission) like in a snowmobile, you can change the way the engine shifts by manipulating several components in your clutch system. For example you can make it upshift very quickly, which gives you faster acceleration and top speed, but sacrifices downshifting, or your sleds ability to keep the drive belt in the power band corresponding to the rpm of the engine. On the other hand, you can increase the downshifting characteristics which will give you better throttle control of power, but sacrificing top speed.
        Clutching is basically the search for the perfect balance between upshift and downshift. Stock sleds come clutched reasonable well in most cases. However you can use clutch tuning to make your engine behave better in a certain situation (ie: drag race vs. powder vs. trail riding)

Hope that makes a little sense...this is just what I've picked up from the real clutch wizards on this board. I'm sure I have something backwards in there, and I'm sure it will be corrected and wrists will be slapped...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok cool thanks rocketman, so would a drag racer have his clutch set up so he has terrible downshifting? whereas a person that races on a short track would want to use more downshifting then topend?

i think i understand, and i thin ill just keep my hands off my clutch =).

Zagg

·
Administrator_X
5,122 Posts
It's not that tough zagg. We can get you through it. Just need to know what is happening now, how you ride, where you ride, how you want it to act, and how much you want to spend. Do you  or one of your buddies have the right tools? Are you new to the sport or are you just getting into upgrading performance? Let us know. You'll get a lot of help here from the guys.

Keith

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well theres nothing wrong with mine i dont think, it really moves like a bat out of #### for me =).

I decided im goin gto just keep it like it is, and read all the other posts about it and see what i can come up with. If for some reason mother nature has some compassion for us, i dont what to have a goofed up sled. I faith that day will come  

Zagg

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Hey alright! I was sure I had something backwards in there somewhere!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts