Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 polaris xc 600 w/ extra 10 suspension. It seems to have a little wander in deeper snow or lightly run trails, but hard pack and beat up trails it wander way too much. It also seems to wander under deceleration. A person i was riding with said that i am running alot of carbide. Amy help would be great. Rear suspension is set at a medium setting.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have a 97 polaris xc 600 w/ extra 10 suspension. It seems to have a little wander in deeper snow or lightly run trails, but hard pack and beat up trails it wander way too much. It also seems to wander under deceleration. A person i was riding with said that i am running alot of carbide. Amy help would be great. Rear suspension is set at a medium setting.[/b]
I would start by loosening your front limiter strap to take some pressure off the skis.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Too much carbide can make you dart - how long are yours? Do you run studs?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Too much carbide can make you dart - how long are yours? Do you run studs?[/b]

I think I have 96 studs in the track. The person that looked at the carbides said he thought they were about 8 inches long . I know it cuts a very deep groove in the snow.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You can always try 6" carbides, but first I'd check the alignment of the skis to make sure something didn't get knocked out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Someone suggested easy steer carbides. Anyone use these before or have an opinion on them?? Or even tru track carbides?? Or woody doolys?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
you cant put easy steers on composite skis only steel. the 8 inchers are the problem. to much bite. i run 10.5 inch carbides and they wonder alot going straight but are great everywhere else. if you ride trails mostly unless you have a ton of studs 6 inches is your best bet

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds like your skis are out of alignment. If you have ANY "toe in" it will dart on you. Put a bungie across the tails of the skis (to take out the slack) then measure between the skis about 6-8" in front of the spindle then do the same (at the same distance from the spindle) behind the spindle. Try to measure to a point on the ski that will be straight front to rear like the carbide mounting bolts or something. You want the front measurement to be about 1/4" more than the rear measurement which will give you a slight "toe out". Dead even measurements is best, but I find that a slight toe out gives very good handling on hardpack.

If you really want to align your front end, first get a 5/8" steel rod about 5' long (make sure it is straight). Take your skis off the spindles and feed the rod through the mounting hole. It is a pretty tight fit, but once you are able to slide the rod from one spindle through the other without resistance, you have a perfect alignment. Make sure and do this with the machine weight on the skis (don't raise the front end off the ground) so the caster/camber is correct.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice. I wil work on it one thing at a time and see what makes the most difference. I will post my findings.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
woodys doolys will make a big difference. i run 102 picks with the 8 " doolys. wouldn't run anything else.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
<<<you cant put easy steers on composite skis only steel.>>>

I don't know who you are quoting here, or where you got this bit of info, but it's wrong. Polaris EZ Steer system happens to work pretty good on the composite skis. I can't begin to tell you how many years/miles I have running that setup....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts