Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've talked about his here before, but now that the dollers are at parity I think we need to look at the issue again.
Take, for example, the Polaris Shift. In Canada, it's offered at a very cheap $8,599. Well, that is to say, cheap compared to what we've been paying for sleds for the last few years.
THe list in the states is $6,999, a huge difference. 22% to be exact.
Obviously there's no justification for that kind of difference, and with lower sales taxes in teh states it seems obvious that lots of people will be shopping south of the border.

Canadian prices have to come down, and I hope that everyone that goes to look at sleds this year will tell their dealers that.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I love to see the prices drop to match the States but for some reason I don't think that will happen :( This gives them a reason to match Canada & they will raise the prices in the States :bash:

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Not knowing any better, I'd say the stong Loonie/wimpy dollar might help justify extra trips across the border for Canadian citizens. I'm not sure at all how the stupid expensive pricing is justified by the Polaris marketing people. Seems as though it's supply and demand in the end though. No? They're intelligent enough not to price themselves out of the market?

On new sled purchases, I would want to verify warranty coverage of sleds sold in the US with owners addresses in Canada? Used, I suppose that doesn't matter at all. -Al

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I cant see them raising prices here. We dont get that much snow and if you raise prices 22%, there will be a lot more leftover sleds sitting in dealer ships. I want to get a new XP 800 Gade here in the next 2 years, but there is no way that I can justify buying a brand new one. I will try and find one thats a year old or possibly a left over.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
head to the states and buy slightly used

btw list price in Canada of the Shift is $8999 not 8599

funny part if you bought a Snow Goer Canada(not SnowSport whivh is Snow Goer USA) the Polaris Shift add clearing says $6999

Oopsy

It is sad when you can get a used 06 sled for $5400 in the States and they are $9000 plus up here with more mileage

Too bad I was not be buying this year as I would be going States side

$6000-7000 goes along way in the States compared to Canada in the new or used market

The new price sleds or whatever has NOTHING to do with supply and demand,it is all greed

AMSnow rag $7.95ca vs $4.95us

Come on man!!!!!!!!!!!

Chapters has bulletins all over the Store saying they are not setting the ca vs us prices

Oh well they will lose out big time to online deals in the States

I know one thing Newf will agree with me is

The Canadian government will find a way to tax us soon enuff so we stop buying across the border

BTW it is not that the Loonie is strong it is more the US greenback is weakening on the world market

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
if the greenback rebounds

Time to snap up property in Michigan :D

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
<<<Time to snap up property in Michigan>>>

Oh Boy, I couldn't agree with that more! The depressed economy/weak job market here in Mi has really started to affect real estate pricing. MAJOR deals to be had.....

This is WAY out of my league, but heard of a new place on the (Torch Lake/northwest lower - high rent district) market quite a while - at a cool 4 million. It sold recently to what must have been a desperate developer for 1.75 million..... talk about taking a hit....

Point being that deal is representative of what's going on. Now is a nice time to have a little extra money......

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Ticks me off everytime we have this discussion, FB is right, greed, greed, greed.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love to see the prices drop to match the States but for some reason I don't think that will happen :( This gives them a reason to match Canada & they will raise the prices in the States :bash:[/b]
That's kind of what I'm thinking too, though really I think there will have to be a bit of a drop here, and a slight increase south of the border. Something has got to change though, or dealerships are going to start closing here.

I know if I were canadian I would be stashing greenbacks like they are going out of style . that I would think is a good investment[/b]
Unfortunately, they are going out of style. The Euro is the currency of the future, as, politically and economically the US is just too unstable for investors. To much deficit and debt, in an age where money markets frown on both.

<<<Time to snap up property in Michigan>>>

Oh Boy, I couldn't agree with that more! The depressed economy/weak job market here in Mi has really started to affect real estate pricing. MAJOR deals to be had.....

This is WAY out of my league, but heard of a new place on the (Torch Lake/northwest lower - high rent district) market quite a while - at a cool 4 million. It sold recently to what must have been a desperate developer for 1.75 million..... talk about taking a hit....

Point being that deal is representative of what's going on. Now is a nice time to have a little extra money......[/b]
Wow! That's the opposite of what's going on here. Real Estate in Canada is going through the roof. And not just in places like Toronto. Pick a decent sized town in Canada and check out the prices. You'll find they're rising by 10-15% per year, at a minimum. As for anything water front, pretty much anywhere, the prices are sky-rocketing.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'd recommend that anyone in Canada who is considering purchasing a sled in the States, to be sure to inform your local Dealer of your decision to do so and why. Inform the Canadian headquarters as well, so they know they are losing out on sales due to their unfair pricing policy.

I sent a letter to Yamaha Canada stating my concerns regarding the $2300 difference in price between the American and Canadian price on an FX Nytro RTX ER. Here is their response:

Good afternoon!

It is impossible to simply answer this type of inquiry regarding pricing between US and Canadian products.

There are many variables and fluctuations and the exchange rate today is not necessarily the rate fixed when the prices were initially negotiated.
Different import expenditures, volume purchasing (300 million vs. 32 million), and different associated costs of operating in Canada vs. the
USA. Such dilemmas are shared by Yamaha and other importers and manufacturers.

We believe our prices are fair and appropriate. I regret you feel compelled to shop in the USA, however, please take into consideration importation regulations/costs and understand that foreign units imported into Canada do not have warranty outside of the country of origin (i.e. all warranty work will need to be performed at US dealerships in this case).

Regards,

Scott
[email protected]

Not only will they lose out on sales keeping their current pricing system, but they'll also lose out on their extended warranty plans.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I agree with Snofrog. Prices are probaly not going up on sleds down here . Are lack of snow is big factor here. I live in wisconsin and I can get better deals in illonis .

I wonder what a sled cost in Texas ?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree with Snofrog. Prices are probaly not going up on sleds down here . Are lack of snow is big factor here. I live in wisconsin and I can get better deals in illonis .

I wonder what a sled cost in Texas ?[/b]
My guess is alot more then it would cost anywhere there is snow.

·
Registered
496 Posts
My guess is alot more then it would cost anywhere there is snow.[/b]
YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD !! Its hard for a dealer to say give me 10,900 plus tax, title, and permit when its Jan 15 and 60 degrees but its easy when its Oct 15 and flurries with hope the season will be great. In the states most people I know sold off their sleds and bought ATVs because the seasons are so bad at least in the midwest.

You Canadians can snowmobile almost all year round right out your bathroom door anyways so stop complaining :slick: I pay your cost dif in fuel and hotels trucking up and back from the U.P. every other weekend.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
porsce dropped there price by 10 % beacuse of the dollar

why was my post deleted?[/b]
I just read 8%, but it's good news, and I think a sign that other manufacturers will be following suit. THe fact that there's a class action suit against GM, Ford, Chrysler and Honda is going to help too.

YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD !! Its hard for a dealer to say give me 10,900 plus tax, title, and permit when its Jan 15 and 60 degrees but its easy when its Oct 15 and flurries with hope the season will be great. In the states most people I know sold off their sleds and bought ATVs because the seasons are so bad at least in the midwest.

You Canadians can snowmobile almost all year round right out your bathroom door anyways so stop complaining :slick: I pay your cost dif in fuel and hotels trucking up and back from the U.P. every other weekend.[/b]
I'm a little confused. The fact that we have more snow here shouldn't mean we should pay more for the same sled. If winters are that bad where you live, then there's not much incentive for dealers to keep selling sleds, meaning that the people who really want one are going to pay a premium.

The more I follow this story the more obvious it is that prices are going to rise in the States, because, as people have mentioned, it's not that the $Can is so strong, it's that the $US is so weak. Weaker dollar = higher prices.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yes you are right there too. This topic is bigger then then we make it so I simplifed it with snow which easier than talking about Taxes , Tarrifs , and the stock exchange and the Fed cut .5% on the interst rate hurting the dollar and delaying the crash.

Bottom line even if the dollar is below yours they will still screw you.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Ticks me off everytime we have this discussion, FB is right, greed, greed, greed.[/b]

:lmao: :lmao:

Rick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts