Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine is new to the sport as of last year... he constantly would make fun of My Arctic Cat Jacket and my Arctic Cat matching helmet. And the big $$$ i would spend. So i get him up to old forge for a week and he realizes that riding around on his black and green cat with an aqua jacket and a red helmet wasnt exactly cutting it... in short he looked like a toolbag.

So now hes looking to buy some new apparel.. I am trying to explain to him that it is not like skiing and that he has to lose the "shell" Pants he has and pick up a nice pair of bibs, especially since he is buying a short coat, from my experiences this does not work because the coat rides up your back and freezes your upper tukus... any thoughts? do I know what im talking about?

·
Registered
51 Posts
i ride with snow pants not bibs and a regular coat i would get a coat that doesnt cover ur back though caude that might get cold some nites. but i like pants over bibs because i often take my coat of at breaks to cool off.

p.s. bare skin is bad and by the way i ride at old forge too. maybe ill see ya up there

·
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to see another old forger on here. I spend my weekends up there. catch me in a couple of months and you'll get the "see me at glenmore friday at 8" on my posts

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I use a short "bomber" style jacket with bibs and it works just fine. If the jacket moves a bit, the bibs still cover your back. Never had a problem, and I ride in extreme cold sometimes.

Last edited by Rocketman at Oct 7 2002, 12:02 AM

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
When I started riding, I went with the short coat, and pants for the first trip, and ended up with a wet A$$.

Bought bibs, and was alright with the short coat. But eventually went with both a longer jacket and the bibs.

I think your right Powderboy. Tell him not to waste his money, and buy the right stuff.

FishHog

·
Registered
900 Posts
If he doesnt heed your advice then its his money..he will figure it out soon enough when the snow flies..

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Like others said if you are getting a short jacket buy a BIB. If you want to wear pants then get a 3/4 length jacket. I wear the xteam racing pants and a 3/4 length reima jacket with a kidney belt. When skiing you are standing up so a short jacket is no problem . When sledding some of us spend a great deal of time sitting, which makes your jacket climb and reveals plumbers butt which will become cold and wet :(

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I wear a short heavy jacket and bibs on cold days and my light ski pants and a longer jacket on warm days. A short coat and pants is a bad combination for either sking or snowmobiling in my opinion. Gets kinda cold when you sit down on the chairlift sometimes. A quick question while were on the subject though. I'm looking for a lightweight longer coat to wear with my pants on warmer days. Any suggestions. How do race pullovers work is there any insulation to them at all.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I'm partial to the one piece stuff. Granted it is a pain to get in and out of, but I don't have any undesirable exposure anywhere. If I'm walking for any reason and get warm, well I can always unzip the zipper a bit to let out the extra heat. Works well for me.

·
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 2 piece Arctic cat jacket. On warmer days i take the lining out. Seems to work for me.... plus with the zipper that ca zip up from the bottom its real nice

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I had been wearing a short coat with bibs but after a back injury could not seem to keep my lower back warm enough. Switched to a long coat, toasty warm with no more cold back. :D

·
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys... I still dont know how i could have let a baby rider tell me this... I feel much smarter now SWRules

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks powderboy. I'm new to this sport and i dont want to make a stupid mistake like your friend did. Powderboy was right...this is a great place to learn. Powderboy is my Mentor and Idle!! Still looking for a CAT.

·
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Soon you too can be like me.... I have a new name for you "Powder'sStudent"

·
Registered
483 Posts
zr500, i just bought an Arctic Cat Mountain Cat pullover, gore-tex, unlined.It is longer in the back, curves around your tail, and has a drawstring waist. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, other than trying it on. I have a similar Cat gore-tex pullover, cut the same style, that I've worn a few years. I stay warm because I dress in layers, and I tend to exert myself quite a bit when riding, working up the sweat...wife doesn't believe me when I tell her it's good exercise. :doh: ...anywho I just bought a Tek-vest , had to go up a size in the pullover to fit right, still have room to move around.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Thanks zrgreen thats what I was wondering. I have the same trouble. I usually were a couple layers and have a two layer cat jacket. I hardley every use the liner cause it gets to hot. I think I will have to get one of those pullovers.

·
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I like the new guy

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I've attached a pic of the jacket & bibs that I've been wearing since when? :withstupid: I've always worn bibs & this is the second bomber jacket I've had. I bought the first in '87 & only replaced it a few years ago.

No problems w/ this combo. The pic was taken in Kapuskasing. 2 years ago it was -29*C in Hornepayne & other than the snowdust in my face, I'd buy a bomber jacket/bib combo again.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I have the 3/4 jacket, x-team racing pants and bib pants.If im gonna be running lakes i wear the bibs as they are floaters(I can't swim) if no lakes then I wear my x-team racing pants.I used to have a bomber jacket but after wearing it a few times my back got cold so I sweetly asked Permafrost if he could buy me this nice cold-wave jacket with removable liner and powerskin for me. I love this coat ad have only ever seen 1 other person wearing it.The guy was pretty choked as I had a bigger sled than him too :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts