Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How exactly does a short stroke sled work? and what is your opinion on getting one? ... pros and cons? I'm looking at a 2004 ski-doo mxz 500 ss

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Check in the ski-doo section. There are several topics about the 500 SS in there. In short, its a great motor. Will hang right with a 600 HO and gets a lot better gas mileage, uses less oil, and is a lot more reliable than the 600 HO and doesnt have the ring flaking problem that the 600 HO has. Kind of wish I would have got a 500 SS instead of the 600 HO.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Another thing, the 500 SS motor is the old 600 motor that Doo used prior to the 600 HO coming out.

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
Check in the ski-doo section. There are several topics about the 500 SS in there. In short, its a great motor. Will hang right with a 600 HO and gets a lot better gas mileage, uses less oil, and is a lot more reliable than the 600 HO and doesnt have the ring flaking problem that the 600 HO has. Kind of wish I would have got a 500 SS instead of the 600 HO.[/b]

The only issue with the 600 HO is the ring flaking problem and even that isn't as bad as the internet hype makes it out to be. My wifes HO gets very close to the same mileage as our friends 500SS. All of the engines use the should use the same amount of oil in relationship to fuel used so that really isn't an issue unless the difference in mileage is great, which it isn't. The HO is quite a bit stronger than the SS. I have lots of mile on the HO and quite a bit of testing on the SS. You can't go wrong with either. You should go with the sled that you like the best between the two and not let the engine be the only reason for buying it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts