Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a rev 800x and a 600x, both have the 1.25" track... I ride mostly Quebec,
U.P. N.Y.,and Pa. trails... Should I stud these tracks??? Never had a sled with 1.25" track... Alway's had studded sleds, but from what I read and see it looks like a hassle to stud these sleds... Clearence also a problem... Any suggestions???

·
Registered
978 Posts
1.25" tracks are great without studs, I allways studded before, but once you get used to it you will be happy! You don't have traction on the icy roads but on groome trails and loose powder these tracks rule, plus there very durable.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Really depends on where you ride. Here in NH we dont have the luxury of fresh powder riding all the time. Often the trails get dangerous with icy conditions on corners etc. Had them last year and will never go without again. 1.25" track needs and extra protection kit. 1" track is easier to stud with only the 1 kit needed.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I have the 1.25 on mine and in loose snow it was hooking up great. Much better then the Mach. If you after every last bit of hook up and traction then maybe its worth it, But i wouldnt bother unless you found it out to be a problem.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I say wait and see as well! Ride it for a while it is easier to add later than to remove later. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just put in 144 1.117 in a one inch.
It is a good idea to put them in because you can stop better and better control in the conners. SWRules

·
Registered
388 Posts
I gotta agree with mxz7 and REV69 I'm not going to stud yet either, but I can't because I don't have the kit yet anyway!! :doh:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think you should wait for a while. To see how it feels without studs. Like everyone else said you add them later. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would stud now. Why wait? I never will ride without them again. I got into an accident last year and totalled :cussing: my sled due to the fact that I didn't have studs. I haven't even riden my REV yet (except around the front yard), but I already have studs and backers, and am on a waiting list for the tunnell protectors.

I have studs on my back up sled, and you can't beet the studs. Predictible braking, and added acceleration. If you have riden with studs before, you will end up doing it anyway, so why not now.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
You've got to look at your most common conditions to make that decision. If you ride alot of hard packed, ice or plowed roads.....studs will probably be in your future. Myself, most of the riding I do is Northern Ontario, good hardpack and not much ice at all. Like my sig says, 15,000 miles on this sled. That's no studs, and with my original track.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I would ride the sled for a while to see how it does first.

I’ve been out only once (I have the 1.25" too) and it does slip and slide but I like it that way! If possible get to try one that is studded... Note: On ice the higher lugs actually make it worse than a .81 or .91 track!

I usually buy a new sled every year and find it is FAR easier to sell an unstudded sled...

I also believe that studs place MUCH more strain on the complete drive train, withoput studs the track has the ability to act as a clutch, and spin...

Of course if squeezing every bit of performance out of a sled, like when racing, or similar, then I think studs are the way to go! Also I believe braking is enhanced with studs but I haven’t had a problem stopping in 25+ years…

Also I don’t let studded sleds on my wood deck trailer... ;)

As always just my opinion!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Ive studded every sled Ive ever had , after riding my rev Ive decided Im not studding it! it hooks up fantastic and because youre more forward a loose assend is a ton easier to control. I too buy a new sled every yr or so and found that many buyers dont like studded sleds. Everyone has dfferent likes and needs but I suggest you ride it first. Be prepared to fall in love, the REV rocks, and the 600 motor is the best from Rotax in a looong time.Now if they could only make the 800 as good.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Rode the rev 600 x package last week. Good hookup very good traction. I will not stud this year if ever.
Wait and see how it handles on the trails.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts