Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After languishing in storage for a little over four years, I finally pulled out my old 80 John Deere Sportfire to see if I could get it to run once again.  I was expecting the requisite carb cleaning and fuel line replacements, but was dissapointed to find the engine siezed up.  :(  I know I was bad for not prepping it properly, but that's another story.  I've tried spraying the inside of the cylinder walls with WD40to get the gunk loosened enough to break the engine free.  Any other ideas to get it loose, or am I doomed to tear it down?  Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would try to dump a bunch of oil (regular motor oil) through the spark plug holes and then just let it sit for a couple of days and try it again.

Lee

·
Registered
448 Posts
DIESEL FUEL.  Pull out the plug, pour in some diesel, let her sit overnight.  She'll be free in the morning!  Might have to hone out the cylinders once she's free though.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I repaired a moped that was sitting in a shed for 15 years, it was compleatly seized up. I put some old mixed gas in the cylinder and left it sit for a night. The next day, I proceded with taking the head out and bashing the piston with a hammer and wooden stick. After 15 minutes, the piston was free. I put in some good gas, a new plug and it started on first kick, well wasn't exactly kick, you actually had to pedal to make it start. It ran good for 5 years at a top speed of 45 kph and over 150 mpg.  You can try this piston bashing technic as a last resort  ;)

·
Registered
442 Posts
i would take that john deere and roll it down a steep hill and drop the clutch it'll break loose
 :D  :D

but seriously i would pour some mixed gas or something else thin that will penetrate the area between the pistons and cylinders let it sit over night it should break free
if it dont i guess your S.O.L.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
after you let it soak in the lubricants-if it's still stuck,you can try putting a wrench on the end of the crank bolt-or take off the chaincase cover and put the torque to the drive sprocket.the wooden stick and hammer works well also.good luck. ;)

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
i hade a citation 377 wich the engine was siezed, i filled her up with oil and let her sit over night, the next day i used a rachet and turned the crank. at first it was hard but after i got it turnig i switched from the rachet to a drill to grind out all the rust, put the plugs back in and she fired up the first pull. sold her this summer and was still going good ! Good luck

·
Registered
124 Posts
try that PB antiseeze or whatever its called... comes in a white areasol can with a bunch of goofy lookin graphics all over it... supposed to work really well.

the motor is obviously going to be messed up untill you get it rebored, but it will probably still work.

- jason

·
Registered
45 Posts
Diesel is the best. If you can not free it up with the diesel fuel then you can kiss it good bye. I only have had one engine I could not get free with diesel.

·
Registered
508 Posts
may not only be piston rust, crank bearings could be rusted solid also.  Found this on my sachs 440.  Actually the rings and cylinders had NO rust at all, the needle bearing under one pistons was rusted solid so the piston could not pivot and one bearing on the crank only rotates about 40% around.  Time sure does damage to these things.

But on the other hand I did just rebuild a phazer that was locked up, I took the cylinders off, poured 10W-30 motor oil into the crank so she was plump full, let sit for about an hour, spins free as a bird now and the sled runs fine.
Neither of these motors were mine.  Some people don't understand that if your not going to use these motors you still have to pull them over and keep them lubed.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Use diesel or i've found auto trans fluid works good as well.wd-40 is a better cleaner than a lube or penatrating oil i've found.
If you do plan on keeping this after freeing it up i'de take the time and hone the cyls to be safe.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Brake fluid, It works wonders on old tractor engines, just pour it down the plug hole and let it set.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Im not quite sure about this but i heard that if you dunk it in power steering oil for a couple of days it will free up.  Im not sure were i heard this from but ill i know is that i did ???

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Originally posted by AC@Dec 2 2001, 11:35 PM
The next day, I proceded with taking the head out and bashing the piston with a hammer and wooden stick. After 15 minutes, the piston was free. You can try this piston bashing technic as a last resort  
:lol: :rolleyes: :blahblah:

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you want a reliable sled I would rebiuld the motor. Hone the cylinders new rings, seals etc.. if its siezed you will be better off in the long run.. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the same problem before and thought it was the pistons and rings but turned out to be crank bearings. If it's been sitting awhile could be all of the above. Try the methods mentioned but in the end a rebuild might not be a bad idea if you plan on keeping it.

Whatever you do get it good and free/lubed up if you plan on just starting it the way it is after getting it free.

You don't want to make it any worse after you free it up

P.S. I also used the piece of wood on the piston and a hammer

1 - 19 of 19 Posts