Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was wondering whats the difference between a silver ceramic coating on a pipe and just black??? also while im here, do you need a dc silencer if you get a pipe? because i have a mxz 550 and i was looking at the pipes and silencers for it on aaen. it showed a pipe for the mxz and a dc silencer ..?

·
Registered
361 Posts
hey i was wondering whats the difference between a silver ceramic coating on a pipe and just black??? also while im here, do you need a dc silencer if you get a pipe? because i have a mxz 550 and i was looking at the pipes and silencers for it on aaen. it showed a pipe for the mxz and a dc silencer ..?[/b]

do you wont it loud or not so loud

·
Registered
903 Posts
hey i was wondering whats the difference between a silver ceramic coating on a pipe and just black??? also while im here, do you need a dc silencer if you get a pipe? because i have a mxz 550 and i was looking at the pipes and silencers for it on aaen. it showed a pipe for the mxz and a dc silencer ..?[/b]
You can get just a pipe, just a can, or both. The pipe is what makes the HP and the can just adds noise and takes off some weight.

As far as ceramic coated and the regular black- The impression I'm under is that the ceramic coating holds the heat much better, so you don't need the metal casings over the pipe. It also looks really nice (looks a little like chrome) and it won't get rusty like the regular black coat will.

You can always have them ceramic coated later for a few bucks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i want it not so loud, but still a nice sound... and what do the dc silencer do ? just quiet it a bit?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
A silencer is a very good way to kill the bottom end power on a two-stroke.

Over and over again, they kill the back pressure that the engineers at Doo designed into the exhaust system.

In a conversation I had with the folks at DynoTech, a independent dyno house out in new york, who is probably the most knowledgeable source in regards to exhaust system testing on the continent (they literally dyno hundreds of different combinations of engine and exhaust) they said they have never seen a silencer ADD power, but almost all of them LOOSE power.

DynoTech is where D&D, Hooper, Crank Shop, Bender, etc... take their engines for independent testing to prove they can make power on a third party shop's dyno. Like Jim (the owner of DT) said "when these places come out to test, unless they have swapped out to full-blown pipes, they use the factory cans as they are the ones making the most power"

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
If you want it to go quicker, invest in clutching.

If you want to be lighter, skip the cheeseburgers.

If you want it to sound "better" then consider buying a Harley (kidding) lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i added clutching to it the other day. now all i really want it is to sound better or to drop some weight (the sled i mean because im only 135 lbs haha )

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Silencers will kill bottom end power. You will have to re-clutch as peak power will move.

There are allot of places to loose weight on a sled for free such as hood sound insulation, redundant brackets, etc.....

For the same money you can spend on a set of skis such as USI or SLPs and you will gain steering performance also.

IMO the loss of exhaust backpressure does not couteract the 3-5 lbs you loose in weight.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
Silencers will kill bottom end power. You will have to re-clutch as peak power will move.

There are allot of places to loose weight on a sled for free such as hood sound insulation, redundant brackets, etc.....

For the same money you can spend on a set of skis such as USI or SLPs and you will gain steering performance also.

IMO the loss of exhaust backpressure does not couteract the 3-5 lbs you loose in weight.[/b]
I agree. but man the sound is sweet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts