Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these skis the same thing? Simmons flexi ski and precision skis. I take it they are both dual runner skis so how are they diffrent?

·
Registered
299 Posts
If you look at the way the ski loops are, you will see the difference. On the precision ski, the ski loop is fixed to the ski at the tip, and where the loop comes back to meet the ski. The simmons ski, the loop starts at the tip, loops around, and goes thru a little block that allows it to slide back and forth. That is why the simmons ski is called the Simmons Flexi-ski. This allows the ski tip to flex with the bumps and dampens alot of vibrations from smaller bumps. I tried to find a pic of mine to show you, but I dont have any, and my sled is still in storage, so I cant take any pics of it right now. Anyways, hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
and the simmons are wider and thicker all around

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
any diffrences in performance? Maybe more shock dampening from the simmons ski? Anything else????

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey UP rider, You've really sparked my curiosity, I put an 1-1/4 track on my xcsp and haven't made enough adjustments yet to get the cornering nailed down yet. It varys with the conditions, so I've checked the simmons website, and their product makes sense to me, but could you elaborate more on the carbide that comes with these skis. 1. How much does each one cost? 2. Could you run flat carbide on one side of one ski (on the outside edge) and v carbide in the inside edge seeing how it is this side that tips down when cornering? :p

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm not sure how much carbides cost by themselves after you have bought the skis (like to replace worn out ones) when you buy them it is only like $5 per ski to upgrade from flat carbide to one cutting carbide.... that is exactly what I have on my 2001 edge 600. I got the black skis with outside flat carbide, and inside cutting carbide, and they handle great... I had to make some minor adjustments to the alignment (about 3/8") but that maybe needed to be done anyways for the stock skis?? After that I have made no changes to my suspension to change ski pressure, because they have handled great from the first test run. If you are running a bunch of studs, you can go with two cutting carbides per ski.

I sent you a PM for a contact to get them for $350 plus shipping with a cutting carbide. I found it on another forum. Any more questions, let me know... I love talking about my simmons skis.. I think they are a great product.. :inlove:

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Simmons is a quality product and proven in the mountains; the Precision ski is apparently an awesome ski, but not necessarily aimed at the mountain crowd. Summits have a nice offset ski with the runner on the outer edge. They sidehill great, float well and hold the trails good. The Precision is lighter and a little narrower than the Simmons.

I'm putting a set of Precision skis on my '97 583 Summit as it's kind of an all-around sled now. 136 by 1.5 inch track. I'd take a hard look at your type of riding and then compare prices. I think the Precisions will be a bit cheaper. I have offsets on my '02 Summit and am quite happy with their performance.

It's a fact that many dedicated mountain riders from all brands swap out their stock skis for Simmons at the dealer. This is not happening quite as much now with the newer, better offset skis.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
745 Posts
A set(2) of 4 inch carbides in Minnesota cost $47.95. My 700 has a 1.25 lug track and 144 Woody's, I run the Simmons with 4 inch carbides.

FZ700

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have precision skis on the MXZ500 sport and Flexi skis on the Blade. The Blade is a long track, so of course it floats better in the powder. When I took the Doo in the powder it did not float at all. The front end dove. That is the biggest difference in my opinion. If your going to be in powder at all, I would definately go with the Simmons. They are great skis. The precision are great for trail riding - and easier to get carbides for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts