Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sled has single carbide rails on my skis and last winter noticed they had a tendecy to jump around while riding. I see dual carbide skis and wondered what are your thoughts on these. Do they work better, do they stay in the trail groves better, thoughts?

Richard

·
10,054 Posts
I love them,,, will probably never run singles again. I have the woody duallies on my f6 and simmons flex skis on the f7 (with dual runners),,, virtually NO sled darting as compared to the single carbide. Now I guess if you fall in line behind someone with your ski width and running duallies also, there is a chance that you could fall into his tracks and have some darting,,,, but I never experienced that.

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love them,,, will probably never run singles again. I have the woody duallies on my f6 and simmons flex skis on the f7 (with dual runners),,, virtually NO sled darting as compared to the single carbide. Now I guess if you fall in line behind someone with your ski width and running duallies also, there is a chance that you could fall into his tracks and have some darting,,,, but I never experienced that.[/b]
I think that pretty much answers that question, thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
I totally agree with puree. My dad felt that it was nessecary for me and him to put the dual carbides on, and man do they work well. We have studs and the dual carbides, so there is no reason that we should be losing traction. I rode my sled once without the dual carbides on, and the day that we put them on after that, I could feel a major difference.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
FWIW, while the duals may help with the darting issue, they do nothing for a pushing issue. They have been known to create one. Hard play in the twisties is usually best done with a good set of singles. Bottom line, differerent strokes. Depends on what you are looking for.

·
Registered
252 Posts
once you've tried them you will never run singles again.i bought a new sled last season and it came with them. i was so impressed that i rushed out and bought a set for my wifes sled and i also put them on my daughters sled. JUST DO IT!!!!! you won't be sorry at all,you will be thanking us after your first ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
To my mind there shouldn't be a sled come off the line without duals. But make sure they have at least an inch spacing between the rods or they'll push. I have simmons skies and they don't push in the corners because the wear rods are on the outside. Love 'em.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
FWIW, while the duals may help with the darting issue, they do nothing for a pushing issue. They have been known to create one. Hard play in the twisties is usually best done with a good set of singles. Bottom line, differerent strokes. Depends on what you are looking for.[/b]

The Ski Doo precision skis do push in the corners but the Simmons dont.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Been running Stud boy duece bars love'em. I don't run real hard in the twisties often but I can see them pushing a bit. I hope to upgrade my skis eventually I hope their available for aftermarket also...G

·
Registered
496 Posts
Dual bars Hate them . Worst thing ever made . On most snow conditions they cause the bars to lift instead of cut into surface . That why you fell less darting . Now the Simmons or ths ski doo skis I like . But the dual side by side bars SUCK imo.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
<<<<On most snow conditions they cause the bars to lift instead of cut into surface . That why you fell less darting . Now the Simmons or ths ski doo skis I like .>>>

Some might say the snow packing between the dual runners on the skis mentioned above can cause the same lift the dual carbides can get into in some conditions.....

On hardpack they work great, on fresh or loose snow on top of hardpack/ice, that may be another question....

I'll stay with the singles. I don't want any discussion with my front end when I tell it/expect it to turn. I'll deal with whatever "darting" I get to prevent any chance of that uncertainty. FWIW

·
Registered
496 Posts
I agree . Darting can be annoying but pushing in the corners is much worse.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Darting is primarily the result of poorly aligned skis. Align the skis properly first, a little bit of toe-out, and if you still find darting is a problem then spend money on fancy wear bars. Fix the real problem first before applying band-aids.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I would pass on the dual carbide wear bars. I like the project x skis from usi running 8 inches of carbide on a 1/2 inch bar. noting I have stock skis and no darting. using the same bars.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Darting is primarily the result of poorly aligned skis. Align the skis properly first, a little bit of toe-out, and if you still find darting is a problem then spend money on fancy wear bars. Fix the real problem first before applying band-aids.[/b]
It can be one cause for sure but following in a similiar ski print I think is more likely. I was the first in our group to get Powder Pro skis and I had no issues with darting at all. Now that a couple of the other guys have the same skis I dart like crazy when following. It can get tiring real fast ever though the tracks your following always appear straight. :crazy:

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the information. At this point I will wait until I get to the trails, try it, and if I have a lot of darting I will look into changing the skis.

Thanks again.

Richard

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have noticed that the skis themselves seem to affect how much darting one experiences. Polaris composites seem to dart a whole lot less than Cat Camoplasts. I have wondered about duals myself for ice and hard-blown snow conditions we have so much of. However, I guess I also wonder it more steel under the ski could be a negative factor when running in powder, and especially when encountering water (overflow) under the powder while riding on rivers. I know snow sticking is a real pain and can be the cause of getting stuck. I can't imagine that extra rods would be an advantage?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
OK my take on this... where do I start ? Since im light rider I have had problems in steering efforts and control in the past
Most people over look a few things when choosing a ski/wearbar combo and end up spending more $$ then nessasary just to cover up the real issue.

DARTING is caused by out of balanced ski pressure and wt transfer of the sled and also aligment on deceleration. PUSHING is the same but at higher speeds and acceleration.

When I first bought my zx it tossed me around like a rag doll from darting , this is when I found the trick. If you shim the rubbers on the back side it will balance out your skis putting more pressure to the back of the wearbar(notice your wearbars wearing in the front alot?). This is what causes darting due to the front of the wearbar digs in as you decelerate and sled wt transfers to the front .

As for the dual vs'a single I belive its just hype to sell something new. When I bought the rev with the dual planer boards (precisions) I noticed how the concave ski lifted the wearbar up out of contact with the snow due to it filling up. I did however was able to get it to turn well with the 4" stock wearbars with a 136x1.5 track pushing it.

Last year I switch to the flex ski with single 6" wearbar and I cant keep it from cutting in. When we were up on the sw ride I smoked a wearbar (half gone ) and it still cut hard in the turns and held it's line . I caulked it upto having the skis balanced (shimed) and my wt transfer set up for me.

Ill keep the single bar set up, it's all in the set up.

mutt

1 - 20 of 22 Posts