Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i gotta 99 ski doo mxz 600 and when its idling it idles up to 3000 rpm and stays there for a second or so and shuts down as though i hit the kill. but when it starts to die...if i flip the choke up it runs fine....its weird because i have to ride with the choke on... or it bogs down and nearly stalls. any help? at all? i know its not the electronics in any of it. because it runs fine. just hurts at idle.

: ]

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Welcome to the site,

First off, I would not keep running it if it will only run on the choke. Chances are it's still too lean and could possibly damage the motor. I would be checking for vacuum leaks or a pipe plug that has popped off causing it to suck air. I have seen crankcase plugs pop off after a back fire and cause the issue you describe. Take a yard long piece of fuel line and hold one end to your ear and snake the other end down under the carbs and listen for hissing while the engine is running. Another method is to spray carb cleaner at the base gaskets and PTO bearing seal while it's running. When the engine speeds up, you've found the vacuum leak.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the site,

First off, I would not keep running it if it will only run on the choke. Chances are it's still too lean and could possibly damage the motor. I would be checking for vacuum leaks or a pipe plug that has popped off causing it to suck air. I have seen crankcase plugs pop off after a back fire and cause the issue you describe. Take a yard long piece of fuel line and hold one end to your ear and snake the other end down under the carbs and listen for hissing while the engine is running. Another method is to spray carb cleaner at the base gaskets and PTO bearing seal while it's running. When the engine speeds up, you've found the vacuum leak.[/b]
do you think it could be the pilot jet? or any jet? my bud told me to do that...because i havent cleaned up my carbs yet this season because i wasnted to see what i had to do first...it doesnt O
NLY run on the choke...it still runs with out it but its just on idle...or slow take of. once i get going i can shut it off. pilot jets or no..?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
do you think it could be the pilot jet? or any jet? my bud told me to do that...because i havent cleaned up my carbs yet this season because i wasnted to see what i had to do first...it doesnt O
NLY run on the choke...it still runs with out it but its just on idle...or slow take of. once i get going i can shut it off. pilot jets or no..?[/b]
Why not take the carbs apart and clean them. If your friends have some experience in this area perhaps they can help you. Short answer, most likely the idle mixture circuit and pilot jets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts