Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last season I burnt my sled 2002 Summit X 800 down in that I ran it out of Coolant. The temp senson malfunctioned and I fried my head seals. I didn't sieze it or really do any damage to the engine excapt for the coolant seals on top of the head. the pistons are fine and move freely and have good compression. Is a rebuild in order and if so how exstensive do I need to go pistons and rings or crank and bore.

I don't really want to dump a ton of money into my sled if I can help it.

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Not sure here, you say you burned it down then you say there's no damage to the motor except seals. That's not a burn down.

By the way, welcome to the site :thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure here, you say you burned it down then you say there's no damage to the motor except seals. That's not a burn down.

By the way, welcome to the site :thumbsup:[/b]

thanks always looking for a good site with people who are as addicted to snowmobiling as I am.

It is kind of a wierd thing the sled wouldn't start and my head turned gold from the heat and when I hit the kill switch it didn't turn off for a second it was almost like the temp switch was cross threaded and had been leaking coolant on my motor cause when I popped the hood it had steam just pouring off the heads. I thought I'd siezed it but the sled still turns over and has good compression I'm mostly worried about the damage to my crank.

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Wow, sure sounds like you should be tearing it down for a careful inspection based on what happened. Any engine getting that hot and injesting antifreeze is likely to have damage

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, sure sounds like you should be tearing it down for a careful inspection based on what happened. Any engine getting that hot and injesting antifreeze is likely to have damage[/b]
Thanks that is what I had been hoping to avoid, but I think a couple bucks spent now would be a ot better than having to totally rebuild the motor down the road. If I were to run it and burn it down for real

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Overheat shouldn't affect the bottom end as its already cooled and lubed through the intake air/fuel plus the Isoflex in the PTO & MAG sides. If the cases are discolored, open them. If not replace the head, piston rings, base and head gaskets then inspect the coolant pump impeller and seal. I would check as to why your "Temp Light" malfunctioned and where the coolant went to cause this bad day. Seen lots of overheats due to low snow conditions with only minor ring damage and rarely bottom end issues.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it at all possible that the temp sensor being cross threaded could have caused the overheat? Because I had just had a new one put in and I think that one of the techs cross threaded it. because of how it looked when I took it out.

·
Registered
538 Posts
It also may be possible that the lack of coolant caused your sensor to not warn you of the hot condidition. It reads the water temp, so if no coolant is in the head, it may not work properly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just would like to let every one know that after I replaced my impeller, my gaskets, and thermostat my sled runs as good if not better than it did last year thanks for all your help

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just would like to let every one know that after I replaced my impeller, my gaskets, and thermostat my sled runs as good if not better than it did last year thanks for all your help[/b]
I did the same thing, and need some information on parts to order. What is the impeller and what gaskets had to be replaced?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I figure that it has been too long to post this but just in case. The impeller is located in the front of your motor where the coolant hose runs in. It is just the force to turn the coolant through the system. Cheap fix. I just go to the dealership for all my parts if you haven't fixed it yet let me know and I can get more detailed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts