Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of their plans with fuel injection??  Do they have anything out yet with it???  What sleds??  Better than Arctic Cat EFI???

·
Registered
99 Posts
In theory it is much better than Cats EFI.  Cat's EFI is basically a throttle body injection like Doo will be using on the new V1000 touring 4-stroke.  The Doo SDI is a port injection system.  This is much closer to what is used in high performance auto applications.  I have actually read comments in a couple magazine acticles where the testers even preferred DPM to Cat EFI.  They are both very effective.  Ski-Doo and Polaris both used EFI in the early 90s but for some reason they decided it was not to continue with it.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Yes.

Skidoo will have a 800 with SDI.  It is way better then cats or at least it is on paper.  It uses two injectors per cylender and is going to add more hp.  It is a form of direct injection so it is much better then arctic cats because that is just throttle body injected which is the poorest type of fuel injection but is still better then carbs.

Skidoo claims

%50 better oil range
%50 better fuel range
emmitions to match 4 strokes and drivability of a car.  Just one flip and go.

A computer moniter the oil injecton and fuel so unlike past oil pumps that are adjusted just buy moving clips and are really only dialed in for full throttle this is way more accurate.  

There is also a throttle position sensor and a knock sensor so blown up engines on the lake may be a thing of the past.  If the engine gets to hot at full throttle the computer will richen it up so the gas will cool it down.

This is also a new 800 engine it is not the current 800.  It is properly designed and enginneered with all of the current 800 faults corrected.  

This is the engine to get.  Bombardier plans to only release a few but will probably have it on all the engines next year.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Sorry to correct you mach, but only emissions are cut by 50%.  Fuel and oil consumption is 25%.  They also don't give a percentage for power increase, they simply say it will be more powerful.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Yeah but last year at a show i heard a doo rep tell me that there new 4 stroke will cut emmitions %50 from a two stroke.  

So if there claiming that now from a 2 stroke then they sound about even.  Remeber 4 stokes are no angles unless they have catalitic converters.

But your right it was only a %25 increase in fuel and oil.

And all i said was it is going to add more hp.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The big difference in the SDI system and reg. fuel injection systems, is on the SDI the fuel is injected in to the combustion chamber at a very high presure after the exhaust port has closed. That why you have reduced emission's and better fuel and oil comsomption.  Were a reg. EFI is injected into the intake port same as a carb, and with vale timing over lap, the intake and exhast port's are open at the same time.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
from outboard experiance I can say this the dfi is a great set-up and should cut oil, gas consumption and emissions better than you think.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I think this news is upsetting a lot of future 4 stroke owners.  This new technology is going to save us our money, enviroment, and down time.  I think this tech is going to give us excellent reliability.

·
Registered
184 Posts
the problem comes in how do you oil the crank shaft and
piston pin bearings.

this has been the bigest problem and no one has yet
to come up whith a real good system

although there is a motercycle company in Italy  
that has a pretty good system.

In other words I agree this technology is the wave of
the future .
I will wait and see.

·
Registered
326 Posts
seems like you would just send an oil line down there to lube all of that stuff just like the fuel mixture usually does. Not a big problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts