Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if the 2003 skidoo pipe(zx chasis not rev)for the 800 is the same as the 2002 and 2001,ive been through 2 Y manifolds and 1 pipe(all warranty),and now my buddy just had to replace his Y manifold...$235cdn ouch!!the new ones have a doughnut instead of metal to metal,so i am curious if later on when i need another Y manifold or pipe if i can put the 2003 pipe and manifold on to prevent the wear and tear on it?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just took my manifold off of my 2001 800 and it is in pretty rough shape where the pipe joins the manifold.There are little chunks of metal missing around where it joins the pipe.Panteraone,thanks for ruining a good weekend by posting the price of this part that obviously needs immediate attention.I also found that even when you sealed it with copper high heat silicone it would turn to dust after about 200 miles.Does anyone know why it would be doing this?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
800x your welcome :D my dealer said the 800 twin is bad for this lots of vibration and he always keeps a y manifold in stock,i was wondering if i could put some hi heat tape around the y pipe outlet so that it would eliminate the metal to metal contact?how is your pipe flange?if you dont change the y manifold your pipe flange will get eaten away

·
Registered
175 Posts
Panteraone,just checked the pipe flange and it looks ok.What you said about replacing the y-pipe before it ruins the pipe itself makes total sense to me.$200 bucks is still alot cheaper then replacing the pipe.The heat tape will probably work for a while but would eventually wear through i think.I am going to talk to the dealer and see if he has any ideas and i will let you know.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok let me know anything you can find out,i was thinking of the heat tape then checking every 500-700 miles and replace the tape if needed?im not even sure if the tape would hold up to the temps,just trying to figure something out

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mine ate away also and received a new one under warranty. I used ultra copper and wood stove gasket. I glued it on the outside of the y-pipe with the ultra copper and put the exhaust pipe over. It made a better seal and my y-pipe still looks new

·
1,327 Posts
Hey PANTERAONE,

Do you know if the 700 twin has the same problem???

I bought an extra y-pipe before I started my EGT installation so I haven't had a look at the one that's on the sled yet.

I am glad that I did now. I am going to be carrying it in my tank bag.

although, if I do that, this problem won't happen to me.

DP

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
xotar..what is ultra copper?and thnx for the info im going to do what you have done and will also do that to my buddys sled.

dpaige..as far as i know its only on the 800's but doesnt hurt to check,only takes a few mins,you wont have to carry a spare manifold they are just wearing away after lots of miles they are not literally breaking,but im glad skidoo changed to a doughnut for the new sleds(maybe not all of them but the ones i have seen) :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
You can buy ultra copper at Canadian Tire or most automotive parts stores for about $8 a tube. It is the best High temp silicone that I found works the best for sealing exhaust pipes. Make sure you clean the y-pipe and inside the muffler well to get any reside off both pieces beefore applying. Also I run a bead down all exhaust springs it also cuts down on a lot of vibration

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Well the flange on the 02 mxz800 is worn through in a few spots after reading this I am thinking it could be caused by the Ypipe. If I put another tuned exhaust on the y will eat through it too :angry:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
checkyour y pipe it might also be worn,go4it had to replace his,xotar's idea is very good and should work,ill be doing it tommorrow

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Just looked at the Ypipe and there is chunks out of it around the outer edges. That is what wore out the groove in the crease of the flange. I think I am gonna be wanting a new Ypipe too. The dealer said he would take it off a new machine for me so it looks like it is getting upgraded to a 03 tuned and Y pipe :D

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
can that be done permafrost?is the 2003 pipe the same as the 2002,and 2001?with the exception of the different size flange

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I was wondering that too Panteraone. If I get a new 03 Y pipe and tuned pipe. Will the tuned pipe fit on the 02 muffler. I believe the 03 mufflers are smaller in size overall. Another thing is I would imagine that the 03 exhaust pipe might be tuned for the new muffler. Who knows im very confused now??

·
Registered
310 Posts
Im pretty sure that the 03 pipe will NOT work for 01-02 models. Or so my dealer says. If you guys are spending that kind of money on new ski-doo stuff, why dont u invest in a Dynoport or SLP pipe?? the doughnut comes with them. They will be about the same price as getting a new ski-doo one, AND you will gain HP and have an awesome sound, oh and lose weight also!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
does the dynoport come with a new Y pipe?or does their doughnut fit over the stock y pipe?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am curious as to how many miles you guys have on your sleds? Is this happening after a couple hundred or a couple thousand? I am going to check mine later tonight but thought this would help others decide to check theirs!

:cussing:

·
Registered
310 Posts
PANTERAONE, as far as I know, the dynoport comes w/ a whole new y-pipe. the SLP does as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts