Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I for one think we have allot of great minds here on this forum, and want to take advantage of it and get some topics started.

I am starting this thread to see what the guys in the Doo forum want to talk about, and then I will start a thread on it.

porting, Clutching, pipes, etc.... what do you think?

I for one would like to talk or do some explinations on Shimming vs Porting, as I have recieved allot of PM on it lately.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I say we talk a little about pipes.

There seem to be many brands and types and all put diffrent advantages on the table.

For the Mach Z I would look at Crankshop, Jaws, PSI, and such. PSI claims to be the best. They say that they have out done them self with the triple pipes for the mach. But yet everyone still uses crankshop and jaws. Why? What advantages do you have.

Also what about for the twins. 600ho, 800. What pipe works best on them. what do they offer you.

And lastly how loud are each of the pipes. Can they pass as a stock pipe or are they screamers.

For the price of a new set of pipes we sure dont know what were getting till its on and running. :(

·
Registered
529 Posts
What about the difference between trying to beef up a smaller sled versus just trading up to the bigger motor. I see it all the time guys with 583's and 600's talking about aftermarket and hp gains and the such. How about save your money on aftermarket upgrades and trade up to a bigger machine. When I was buying the Rev, I just couldn't see myself on a 600, even though they are a great motor. Now if the 800 isn't good enough for me, well... I think I might have a problem, I could always put an 800 triple in the rev. :D

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Personnally I think clutching would be a great one. There are too many people out there that just do not know about properly setting up clutches. Usually this is not because they can not do it but they lack the tech info to make the correct choices. Heck with riders changing brands to ride the REV's a whole new batch of people will need to be educated on the TRA clutches and the RER secondary. Remember it doesn't matter what you do to your engine if you can't clutch it effectively your mods are being wasted.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what I am trying to accomplish is to have the members start to bring their good info to the table and bring it out in the open.

We have allot of great minds here, lets use em!

Like the Mach pipes are a good idea, then Marty should start a thread on it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey guys, I heard that Jaws makes some of the pipes for Crank Shop. As far as the triple pipes, I think Jaws and Crank Shop is the way to go but, just as rob7374 said, the clutching has to be spot on for anything to work properly. Heck I think doing just clutching is money ahead of buying noisy pipes. Some pipe manufacturers say you gain horsepower but in reality on the dyno, numbers don't lie but some pipes make you lose power.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I for one would like to see info on clutch maintance and tuning. Maybe an article on the Team Roller secondary.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I agree with Idooski. You think 800MXZ is just one of those unshaven hillbillys and then he comes up with all these great ideas. LOL Dave!
Ryan

·
Registered
372 Posts
i would like to talk about heads and shim kits rk tech or cudney ? pistons new ring on the stock or new 2 ring pistons from weisco or any other brand name ,,,whats the up side and whats the down side..i have already bought the ones that i want but i like to hear from everyone else.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I too would like to hear some opinions on clutching.
I need help in understanding what different spring poundages in the primary do, also all the different ramp profiles.
Here is a setup I want to try next winter on my 809Z
280 ramps
200-380 spring
19gm pins
50/44 helix
21-23# tention
24/44 gears
230# rider
1 1/4 long track
stock pipes, stock engine
I just want a good all-around go fast set up, not all out racing only.
Any opinions??

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trick to the 280s is running a flat finish on your cam. Ramps have a direct relation ot how the sled shifts out, and a steep cam cant happen with the 280

That setup is pretty close to what I have in my mach, I just tune the primary to pull 8600 to match the pipes.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
see my sled is an rer so i just stayed with the stock cam 47-44 so it should be close then i also tried a reg secondary with the 53-44 and a couple of cams that im not sure of the angle but still found it pulled hard for like 400 feet then just fell off. and the other thing was traction very hard to get it to hook with the hard engagement

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
MXZ800, So your saying the 44 finish angle is good or would you rather see a straight angle like 47? What part does a stiff spring finish, in this case, 380# play into this?

mach69, when you say falls off, do you mean it goes like hell in the begining then just mellows out or quits pulling hard at the end? Would a 286 or 295 be better suited but pull as hard as the 280? What about top end losses with the 280 or the others with that spring?

·
Registered
272 Posts
i ran 280's in my 900 twin all last year on asphalt with a 230- 410 w/ 21 pins and a 54 helix at 20 lbs on the beige spring and ran 6.22 @106 mph in 660 ft . now i think the 280 ramp does stop pullingat 500 ft so i am trying 287's with this same set up to see if it pulls longer . my stock z ran good with 228 230-380 18 pins with a stock 50 @ 18 lbs it ran 6.63 at 100 mph in 660 ft .the 96 z is hard to get out of the hole the best 60 ft was 1.43 , the mxz does a good job @1.36 in 60 ft

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
yeah mikeadoo that is exactly what i am saying. but even on asphalt i found it would spin like a mother.....lol.... im still trying to find a good set up for that. i would like to engage at around 3000 rpm. but i think the 286 will be much better

·
Registered
978 Posts
Jaw's pipes are good, but for customer service, not so good......the only one that ever seems to know what's going on is Greg himself..........and try to get a hold of him...........good luck.
Maybe it's better now but this was 2 years ago when I was still a triple boy.....now I've mellowed out to twins.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What I have noticed is that one can not just change to 280 ramps and throw their hands up in the air when it doesnt work just right.

The shift out dia on all the ramps are the same, so they will theroeticly will go the same MPH. The 280 is very agressive, so agressive that if not set up correctly it will not shift out. I dont know how to exactly get it into words, but verification that the clutches are shifted out are necessary to know if it is working correctly.

On my MXZ, I have to run reverse cut cams with the 280s. The 280 is so agressive that it can't shift effeciently, so a shallower start angle is needed. On my Mach I am running 48/44.

Now, strait cams vs compound cams. In the post above, we compare a strait 47 to 50/44. A strait cam shift wise is much more agressive than a compound cam. Since we need to start at one angle, and finish at another, the actual profile of the cam looks like a "L" and has a step in the middle. A strait cam is from point a to point b, thus making it shift more aggresively. It took me a long time to figure this one out. In my testing, a strait 50 was more agressive in the middle than 53/47. I will see if I can find an article that I read on it in SnowTech.

1 - 20 of 255 Posts