Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to narrow my stance up this year. was wondering what u guys think is to narrow of a stance. I was thinking of going to 40" Is 37" to tippy?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm going to narrow my stance up this year. was wondering what u guys think is to narrow of a stance. I was thinking of going to 40" Is 37" to tippy?
[/b]
Do not know your riding esperience or riding conditions you do. I live in the Mountains so that is where I ride. A narrow ski stance just does not work here for Mountain riding. It might be OK for trails and such. Sorry I am not much help. 37" seems narrow and could be very tippy

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do not know your riding esperience or riding conditions you do. I live in the Mountains so that is where I ride. A narrow ski stance just does not work here for Mountain riding. It might be OK for trails and such. Sorry I am not much help. 37" seems narrow and could be very tippy
[/b]

I ride mostly in the snowy mtn range and the big horns occasionally. Dont do much trail riding at all, maybe a couple miles a day. Mostly back country trees, hills, meadows, side hill, etc. I'm lookin to make it easier to lay on its side in the deep and in tight areas? Was wondering if anyone has a 37" or a 40" and if they like it for mountain riding, or if it seems to narrow. I know the 2001 & prior summits had a 37" but now doo is starting to make the new summits ski stance a little wider?

·
Registered
539 Posts
My 2000 doo has the 37" and the 2003 is wider. I also ride Mountains and for laying her over on its side I really liked the 2000 with the 37". My 2003 skis will change over in about 15 minutes and get me back to the 37" which I doo doo once in a while when I feel like ripping er up and having some great fun. For just straight hill climbing I like the 40" it is not as tippy going up the steep hills. hope this helps just a little

·
Registered
73 Posts
I find a narrow ski stance makes your ski-doo be very asy to throw around in thesnow bad for the trail i 37 is basically what the summit has befor the started using all this wider ski's and scags on the outside. It is what u like and your ski's abasic ski-doo these days that isnt a mountain or have scags on the outside of the ski's is about 42.5 if a mnt it is 37-38 where is your cag to . if u want 37 with scages on the out side it is very small u may be best going with a 40 with scags on the outsid. ifthey r in the middle 37 should b fine if u r using it for the snow

·
Registered
149 Posts
My machine was once a trail sled. It had a 43" stance and I changed that to a 37" front suspension from a Powder Special. No mountains, but I ride off-trail only when the snow is deep (2 to 5'). We get a total of 20-25' per year around here. Powder riding and squeezing thru the woods has been way easier with a narrow stance, and I wouldn't go back. I kept my old parts for a couple seasons and even switched back once just to be sure it was better. I finally sold them this fall since I plan to stay narrow. It is tippy on the trails (and moreso without the sway bar), but I don't care to be on them with the tourists anyways. :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Got to tell you I had mine set to 38 and didn't like it. Nice to throw around but on the trail with 2 inch lugs it was dangerous. One stutter and your likely to be over. Off trail ALL the time, is something else.

I find 40 to be ideal. Not too wide to throw but not so narrow it is dangerous hopping snowbanks and or ditching, rock climbing. Nice to have the option of moving skis in or out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts