Snowmobile World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have removed my skid frame from my '00 ZR. I have a couple of questions and would like your opinions. Here they are:

1. I built a sled lift based on the plans that were posted here. It works great! Anyhow, it was a pain in the @$$ to remove the skid frame while the sled was on this lift. Should I continue to use it for re-install? Or should take it off of the lift and lay the sled on its side. Which is easier?

2. I am adding the Cat upgrade kit to the rear skid to couple the front and rear arms. The kit calls for one hole in each side rail to be drilled. Should I completely take apart and bring the rails into work and use a CNC machine for drilling these holes? Or should I use the templates provided and hand drill the holes? Now this may seem like silly questions, but here is my concern. I know I'll get more accurate holes if I take them into work, however does taking the skid completely apart pose any re-assembly/alignment headaches? Could taking it completely apart be worse in the long run? Oh yeah I am also have my shocks rebuilt at this time as well!

3. Lastly, upon re-assembly are there any tricks or tips you guys would like to share. For example I plan on replacing all the Ny-lock nuts and the standard lock washers with new ones. I also plan on use Lock-Tite on certain fasteners, and applying anti-seize on those components that show signs of corrosion (some of the cross shafts). What about lubricaton, during re-assembly should I apply a light film of lubricant to certin things? All things? Not to certain things? What lube should I use? Any other comments or futher suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Maxwell

·
Registered
168 Posts
Maxwell I am planning on doing the same thing so let me know how you make out.

Putting the skid in is much easier on its side (for me anyway. I don't like fighting gravity).

I would use the templates to drill the holes just make sure you are square to the rail when drilling. I don't tink its that critical if you are out a couple of thou.

Good idea on replacing the hardware the cost is cheap for the insurance you will get. Yes grease every thing except the bolt threads you are trying to lock. Antisieze is another great idea ( have had great success with C5A and nickel seize) do not mix grease with anti seize. Any good quality low temp grease is good I like amsoil.

Loctite the bolts holding the skid in with Blue Loctite make sure both threads are clean and grease free. do not use the primer.

Good Luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts