Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
The skid form the '99 ZL is used with the ETT tunnel on that sled. I would be cautious about putting it on the '95 ZR. That skid has more travel that the ZR had and you could damage tunnel.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Yes it can be done. I checked into doing the same to mine one time. You just won't have the complete 13" travel ('95 - no ETT).

I don't remember though, if anything needs to be done to keep the skid from traveling too far and smacking the tunnel.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
It can be done and from what I understand you will get the full travel. The local dealer has done several zrs and exts. We plan to do it to my friends 95ext 580. I talked with the mechanic and he somewhat explained it to me and said you have to redrill some of the holes. He is going to show me once we get a skid to put in. Hopefully we can get one fairly soon.

·
Registered
442 Posts
i would still wonder about putting the skid in a older non ETT sled. Arctic cat kinked that tunnel for a reason and that was to increase travel but not the ride height so much, if you put that skid in a non-ETT sled and want it to have the full travel the back of that sled will be so high off the ground it will change your center of gravity destroy one of the best handling trail sleds i have ever ridden, i have a 96 ZR 580 EFI and i came from a 97 ZL 440 which had the ETT and i dont miss one ounce of that travel i lost. the pre 97 ZR's in my oppinion are one of the best trail sleds to this day

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I've seen one that the dealer did and it seemed fine to me. I agree zr580s rule that is a great suspension for flat trail riding but just doesn't cut it in the bumps. I will post some picks and dimensions once we get the projet done. I think we've found a skid so we should be getting around to it soon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
the skid is what dictates travel, the tunnel is just for track clearance
you mount the rear portion of the skid in the lower posistion on the
tunnel and no problems. I also have a skid for sale with the fox shocks
if any body is in need.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a skid from a 98 ZR500 with 1600 miles on it, shocks rebuilt 600 miles ago. E mail me if you are interested.I will take digital pics and e mail them if you are interested!!! :sleeping:

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I am putting a skid from a '98 ZR into an '86 Phazer. I haven't put it in yet (waiting for new rear brackets to be made), but I've modeled it all and decided on new mounting hole locations. If I remember to, I'll post the dimensions tonight.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Here are the dimensions I am using for mounting the skid. I have 8-tooth drivers. Perhaps with 10-tooth the holes would have to move a hair towards the trackshaft.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts