Snowmobile World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lets start by saying im working on a 87 MX, 470. blew the crank, wrecking the casing....

so... I bought a crank and casing that was labeled as a 470, casing was a 470 it clearly says it on the label(467 blah blah). so mounted the old jugs on it ... put it back together.. until we went to put the head back on and the piston is coming up about 3 MM too high(just enough for the ring to come outta the sleeve). I bought this stuff a while ago.. so there's no going back to the seller, like almost 18 months ago.

What I really want to know is, would anyone know which 2 cyl crank would have a rod that is only a few mm's longer than the 470... 500? 517? 583? 670? maybe a 500 fan?? . the crank is in good shape, so if I can identify it I might be able to get a local shop to take a trade on it.

any info would be appreciated...

thanks

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The connecting rod length will have no effect on the stroke of the engine your talking of. The 467 (type 470) has a stroke of 61.0mm. The 521 (Type 536 & 537) have a stroke of 64mm. There's your 3mm difference. May be cheaper to get a 521 top end than looking for another crank plus theres no replacement for cubic inch displacement LOL.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts