Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Skidoo 399 and can not get fuel, it ran fine then stopped. I can pour fuel into the carb and it will run for a little bit then it dies, can you help?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
do you have a year on the sled? Like 1975? My guess would be fuel pump, gas isnt getting to the carbs. Check your fuel lines first, make sure they arent stiff or leaking. If its not that then i would suggest rebuilding your fuel pump. Guys, am i correct on this?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
A 'doo that vintage probably has a Tillotson carb.

The fuel pump was integral to the carb. Check that the impulse hose from the crankcase to the fuel pump portion of the carb is intact. If it is, the carb probably needs rebuilding. Carb kits for those sleds aren't very expensive. Just be careful taking the carb apart as it's easy to flip a diaphragm or gasket over & then the pump won't work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a Skidoo 399 and can not get fuel, it ran fine then stopped. I can pour fuel into the carb and it will run for a little bit then it dies, can you help?[/b]
Yes, checking the impulse line from the crankcase to the carb is a really good idea. I had this problem before and if the gaskets are old then either get new ones and rebuild the carb or try just taking it apart and spraying down all gaskets with WD-40. I had this problem before and that fixed the problem. Gaskets are fairly cheap though but try this first. Everyone has a can of WD-40 in their tool box.
Might be a good idea to check the fuel lines inside your fuel tank too. If they get clogged or become to a point where they collapse then that could cause it fuel starvation. But, I think its the carb and not a big fix. Hope the ideas sent from the other guys and me help you out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts