Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Brand new to this site and pretty new to sledding as well.

Last year I started this great sport with an 04 Polaris 550 classic. I loved the ride and after a few outings I had it sliding in the corners and everything was great.

Of course all my buddies said, "that's a girls machine" and I should get something bigger. I am a pretty big guy, 230lbs, 6'1" so I thought yeah, why not? So this year the Polaris went to my girlfriend and I got an 02 SkiDoo 800 MXZ.

The few times I have had the MXZ out I find it hard to steer. This machine seems so heavy that it plows through snow instead of riding on top of it. Even got it stuck a couple of times as it seems to like burying itself in snowbanks and ditches.

So my questions are:
  • is this normal for this sled to operate this way?
  • are there any mods I can do to help the sled handle better?
  • is there anything I can do to help this sled handle better?
  • or....should I admit to myself that a girls machine is best for me? :bash:

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Yes you need to get weight of the skis some. On the rear there sould be 2 shocks. You need to adjust the front one stiffer. Your tool kit should have the tool in it for this. I am about 220lbs in full gear. I run mine at about mid way on the adjustment cam on the spring. The rear torsion spring should be set to were the back end drops between 2 and 3 inches when you sit on.it. There is a plastic cam on the rear arm. You will see the short end of the spring arm on top of it. With your size, you may need to upgrade to the next heavier spring.
If the front still feels heavy, see where the front spring adjustment is. You can loosen them up to take a little weight off but, you will take a chance of the front bottoming out on larger bumps.
The last thing you can do is let the limiter strap out one hole. Its at the front of the rear skid, in front of the shocks. Stick a block of wood under the track in the front and that should give you some room to let both straps out one hole. Make SURE both are let out the same.
After you do that, check the track tension, more than likely, you will have to loosen the track a bit.
Tweek these thing till you get it the way you like it.
One other thing, if the sled has the silver body HPG take-a-part shocks, I would have them rebuilt and val ed for your stile of riding and weight.

Good luck!
Brian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts