Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone

I just registered on the site about 10 mins ago and i'm a new snowmobiler. I need someone's help.

I bought a 1991 MXZ Formula 470 with a 1993 Skidoo 583 engine.

I took it out the first time last weekend and the engine feels really sluggish. It seems as though the engine only really kicks in well into the throttle (pinned) but it is very delayed and still does not perform like a 583. I've been on other sleds and i do know how it is suppose to perform.
I'm also having an iddling issue. I have to continue pressing on the throttle or it will stall within 2 seconds. Could this part be my air ratio?

Is it a belt issue? Clutch?

I've cleaned the carbs, put a new gas filter, new oil filter, new gas lines, new oil lines, new plugs...

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Robotic

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey Everyone

I just registered on the site about 10 mins ago and i'm a new snowmobiler. I need someone's help.

I took it out the first time last weekend and the engine feels really sluggish. It seems as though the engine only really kicks in well into the throttle (pinned) but it is very delayed and still does not perform like a 583. I've been on other sleds and i do know how it is suppose to perform.
I'm also having an iddling issue. I have to continue pressing on the throttle or it will stall within 2 seconds. Could this part be my air ratio?

I've cleaned the carbs, put a new gas filter, new oil filter, new gas lines, new oil lines, new plugs...

Thanks,
Robotic[/b]
I forgot to mention that my plugs were BR8ES

·
Registered
29 Posts
I forgot to mention that my plugs were BR8ES[/b]
I actually had this problem today. I had the sled in the shop a few days ago right after i bought it and got the carb's redone /w new plugs, oil injector adjustment etc. etc. It was running great but was being a pain to start. Gapped the plugs from the .030 they had set them to to the .016-.018 it calls for in the manual... could barely get it to start, had to pull it at 1/2 throttle and then had to stay on the throttle to keep it running and it ran terrible.

Tried some of my spare plugs, same problem... So i regapped the plugs to .030... it started the first pull, purred like a kitten, quickly drove it into my truck for fear of stalling but it seemed to be running fine.

Took it out and blew out about a 1 mile long line of carbon and old oil. They must have had it idling at the shop for God knows how long without any runs. It's still not running like how i feel it should be running. (my estimations for speed are about 70mph through rough terrain, farmers fields and ~6" of fairly hard snow, maybe that is about right?... did a ditch run with the truck and went faster than 60mph while having to continually let off for the jumps)
I'm guessing the RAVE valves are gooped up though and will need a good cleaning. Although it doesn't seem like it. Rips the ski's up on launch and screams in the high rpms... Tach reads 7200 at top speed (only did about 1/4-1/2 mile runs), which seems low to me. But it DOES have a MACH Z dash so the tach could definately be off.

Anyways all i can say is that gapping the plugs to .030 and blowing out carbon and old oil is what fixed me up. I imagine the shop adjusted everything to use a .030 gap, because at .016 it just floods itself. gap them to .016 and see if that fixes your problem, thats what they SHOULD be at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks,
i will try to gap the plugs and see if that works.
i will also tighten my air screw
I will let you know.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm also new, but sounds to me like you're RAVE valves are sticking or gummed up. If you look under the tech center tab there's a link that shows you how to clean them. It's relitively easy as I did it last weekend. Good luck with your sled.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Hey Everyone

Thanks,
Robotic[/b]
Is the sled running the ignition module from the 467 or the one for the 583?????

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the sled running the ignition module from the 467 or the one for the 583?????[/b]
How would i figure that out? I do know however that all the wiring for the engine is not hooked up. The engine is pretty much hot-wired i guess you could say (don't need key in ignition to start). The only display that works is my RPM. ?????????? Maybe my sled is in worse shape than i thought!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Get the part number(production date and number) off the ignition module and post it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
See if your carbs are synchronized. By this I mean that the throttle flaps both open at the same time. I had the same problem with my sled and found that one of the flaps were out because of the loose screw holding all three carb flaps to the synchronizer shaft. Make sure that when you press the throttle that both carb flaps open at the same time and be sure to have the engine off while doing this. Safety first. Ever since I done this to my sled the pick up is incredible from the start and my plugs are not fouling up. Hope this helps you out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts