Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used MXZ 670HO this year. The sled had only been run a few times in the last two years (still only 800 miles on it). When I asked the original owner what oil he used he told me the Skidoo oil, but did not remember if it was synthetic or regular. My question is, is there anyway to tell what is in there ? Are the two different colors ? If I just want to run the regular oil, is it OK to mix it with what is in there now in case the current oil is synthetic ?

Thanks in advance for any replies

·
Registered
190 Posts
Wow you just picked up a great sled. An HO with only 800miles, great find! Like andw1 said you can mix the oil. Synthetic Doo oil is kinda carmel in color if that helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I know I could just suck the oil out of there, but the tank is almost full and then what do I do with it. Looks like best idea is to run it down as low as I dare then add the regular oil. Sled is mint condition, the guy actually bought it for his wife who hated it after a few rides. I don't understand buying a sled like this for a woman that weighs about 90 lbs. soaking wet, but I will say, I have searched and searched and cannot find a single scratch anywhere on it. So far I added 144 studs and 8 inch carbides. I may try the ETS kit, but am waiting to ride it first to see how it feels.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Start your sled and smell the exhaust. If you get cancer in the next 10 min its non synthetic junk oil.

Common, You spent big bucks on your sled. Feed it Amsoil....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never had a problem with the regular skidoo oil in my other 3 skidoos. Don't really see the point in switching now.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I know people that insist on using reg oil.

There Raves are always stuck. There machines smoke and smell awful. The side of there machine is black. Around 6000km there machine starts to feel a little weaker then new.

Ive used synthetic and after 9000km it still has perfect compression both sides, Passes a leak down test like it was brand new, Runs great, Smells good, doesnt smoke, and feels just as strong as the day i picked it up. And the Raves have only been cleaned once. This year and they wernt that bad.

And if you know a amsoil dealer the cost is about the same as doo oil.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I'm with Machzzzzz, use amsoil.

but either way, you won't have a mixture problem, but I would run the tank you have down as much as you can before mixing, just to be safe.

FishHog

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't doubt your testimonial MachZ. It's just I never had a problem using the non synthetic so didn't want to chance an "unknown" in this sled. I'm one of those anal retentive owners that inisist everything be perfect with the rides before they get loaded on the trailer :) Never had a problem with the raves on my 583, but will admit they got cleaned once every season. I checked the ones on the 670 motor and they are clean, but then again it's only 800 miles. I'll see if I can't locate someone near me that sells amsoil.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I know where your comming from. But there is no unknown with amsoil. It is proven. There is problem more doos running it then regular oil.

Find a guy in your area and run it. You will get more life out of your machine. The profe will be when you go to clean your Raves at the end of the season.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts