Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinking about getting plastic skis for my 96 super sport
but are they worth it?
would they last longer and give me beter performance?
i'm prety ruff on the ones i have now !
i cross hiways and go on roads a lot .
so would they be worth it ?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Definatly!
I think the best money you can spend on an old sled is for plastic skis. They will make your sled handle and ride much better, they do last longer, and they're not even that much more expensive then a pair of new steel skis with skins.

Go for it, you won't believe the difference.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks  

i was wondering if they were that good
i'll probably ask around for good prices !

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been using after market plastic ski's since before the manufacturers started offering them. They are lighter, quieter, hold up better and definitely offer less friction.

Currently I run Simmons Super-Flex on both my sleds. These are concave bottoms with two runners per ski. Runners are on the outside edges. These require a little more effort to turn but they turn great.  Major reasons I started with them is they trap the snow and give better flotation. They were developed and are manufactered in Utah by a guy that does a lot of deep powder mountain riding. The other major benefit is they reduce  (I won't say totally eliminate) "bump steer" or "hunting" by what I would consider 90%.

The 4 carbide runners cost around $100.00 about the same as 10 inch SLP carbides. Total set complete is about $400.00 similar to an SLP set. I ran SLP's before the Simmons.

I've been running the Simmons for 4 seasons now and been getting 2,000 to 4,000 miles out of a set of carbides. You can find him on the web at simmons.com I believe.

If you look at the 2003 Polaris you will see that they are offering dual runner skis I believe on the Trail models. Their runners are not all the way out to the edge though. These will steer easier and I think allows them to get around Simmons patent. He offers them in black but also with a black and marble colored effect. I have a pair of black with red and black with blue.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I replaced the crappy steel skis on my Phazer with plastic Flex skis off an '02 MXZ.  I could hardly believe the difference it made in speed, handling, floation.  Highly recommended.  Go plastic!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good i'll defenatly get them

they'll work great on my sled
thanks for all the input

·
Registered
49 Posts
YOU CAN PICK UP REALLY CHEAP SLP ULTRA LIGHTS FOR ABOUT $75 A SKI IF YOU LOOK HARD, THEY ARE GOOD AND STEER LIGHT

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does that $75.00 include the mounts? The skis were always sold without mounts, unless that has changed. Then you still need Skags.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The Polaris composites are also worth a look especially if you are concerned about wearing them out on road crossings. Polaris skis keep all but the middle of the skis well away from contact with the surface so they don't easily get chewed up over a coarse surface like a road. They would appear not to float very well with the somewhat "wedgy" bottoms and not a lot of width. However, in going from wide plastic skins to the composites, I did not notice a very significant change in floatation. I am currently still running the original composites that came on my latest Polaris and it has 15,000 miles on it. The original wear bars are also good ones and they are just now on need of replacement. I'll never use steel again as long as I can get plastic.

Steel skis will eventually go the way of leaf springs and we'll wonder why anybody would even consider using them.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what about skis with weels? like the ones they use when they are testing a new sled ?
not like i'd what to us them in the winter, but are they avalable in the stores?

thanks i'm defenetly going to get some plastic skis

·
Registered
49 Posts
THE ULTRA LITES JUST COME WITH THE SKI AND THE SKI ONLY I GOT A PAIR FOR MY OLD SLED 95' INDY 500 AND THEY WENT RIGHT ON, BUT YOU DO HAVE TO HAVE THE RUBBER SPACERS INBETWEEN THEM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts