Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st, is there any special type of paint to paint the skis with?

2nd are these worn out?

3rd, what is meant by 'toe out' and how do you measure it?

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
i can't see my pop-up won't let me see the full image. those are your carbides right?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The best paint for skis is epoxy based Imeron or Awlgrip. Since these can only be sprayed on at a boat bottom refinisher my next recommendation would be Urethane spray bombs from the hardware store. Those wear bars look OK. They don't look like carbide inserted bars so try to stay off the road with them or they'll wear out fast. Toe out is having the front of the ski wider than the rear looking at the sled. The opposite is true for Toe in. Having this difference in measurement applies a little pull on the skis during forward motion to take out any normal slack in your steering linkage. The best way to align your skis is first install and align your track then install a straight edge (board as long as your sled) along side your track and up between the skis. Measure the distance between the board and the ski front and rear of ski (1 inch difference total I believe). Then do the same on the other side. Do this with a long bungie cord tied between the ski loops (handles).

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What i have been using for most of the parts is krylon Epoxy enamel. What is the difference between that and the urethane spray bomb?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
What i have been using for most of the parts is krylon Epoxy enamel. What is the difference between that and the urethane spray bomb?[/b]
The Urethane is less brittle in extreme cold and adheres to the primed metal better than some enamel and epoxy paints. On skis you will find brushing the paint on the bottoms more cost effective since you'll be doing it every year depending on the trail conditions.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i hope i didnt make a big mistake here, but is it bad that i havent primed anything? Ive been spraying most parts with rust inhibitor first, i assumed that was kind of like a primer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts