Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted on here about my buddies rev being damaged and he got the estimate to fix it right is 4 grand, and a quick bang it back together for1500. He is now thinking about getting a different sled and the dealer would take his on trade, what do you think he'd get for it. I was thinking if i could get the sled for 1500-2000 i'd take it in for the hammer it as straight as possible job and have a decent backup sled, i would like to know if this really wouldn't be a smart thing to do. The tunnel, and nun are bent, the nun would be replaced and the tunnel banged as straight as possible.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Is that estimate including labour? The tunnel should be fairly cheap, and replacing it would be a good oppertunity to get a nice aftermarket tunnel. It's a long and tedious job, but pretty straightforward. Just make sure you have an air-rivet gun. If you try and do it by hand you'll screw it up big time, not to mention killing yourself trying to pop all those heavy duty rivets.

What year/size is the Rev? I don't think I'd pay more then $1500 for a Rev that's wrecked front and back.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Is that estimate including labour? The tunnel should be fairly cheap, and replacing it would be a good oppertunity to get a nice aftermarket tunnel. It's a long and tedious job, but pretty straightforward. Just make sure you have an air-rivet gun. If you try and do it by hand you'll screw it up big time, not to mention killing yourself trying to pop all those heavy duty rivets.

What year/size is the Rev? I don't think I'd pay more then $1500 for a Rev that's wrecked front and back.[/b]
i got to buy an air rivitor. i did 75 rivits by hand once and i wanted to die when i was done

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The labor was included in the estimates and its a 04 rev 600 ho x package. On the paper they have the tunnel costing $1000 and the one front piggyback shock for 573 which i think is way high. I figured if i could patch it together cheap it would be a decent backup sled.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
ya you can straiten a tunnel in a press pretty easy to. did it with a 02 mountain cat 144 tunnels and it turned out great, almost as good a new and 1000 bucks cheaper

·
Registered
465 Posts
i got to buy an air rivitor. i did 75 rivits by hand once and i wanted to die when i was done[/b]
I know how you feel, me and my dad had to put on some 20 rivets for our new sleds.(skid plate, and trail sticker plate) When we were putting the skid plate on my rev, the darn thing broke, all the parts fell out of it and we had to get a new one, just crazy.

Frank

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
If the purchase price is right I'd go for it. Lots of people parting out sleds, might be able to get most of what you need used.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The more i think about it i'm not sure if it would pay ecspecially with the winters we've been having. Looking thru the parts list a tunnel is 1000 buck and the left front shock they want 570 for. I'd just hate to go thru all this work and money and having constant problems with it. My buddies friend was the one that hit a tree with it so we're waiting to see if he has insurance. The moral of all this is be very careful on who you borrow you're sled to.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
You could get the shocks on Ebay or cough cough dootalk.com There are usually several pairs of shocks for sale on there. You could even by the Adrenaline shocks that arent rebuildable, they would be a lot cheaper. I guess a lot of it would be on how bad the tunnel is. Is anything in the rear suspension twisted or broke? If I was closer, I would be interested.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I posted on here about my buddies rev being damaged and he got the estimate to fix it right is 4 grand, and a quick bang it back together for1500. He is now thinking about getting a different sled and the dealer would take his on trade, what do you think he'd get for it. I was thinking if i could get the sled for 1500-2000 i'd take it in for the hammer it as straight as possible job and have a decent backup sled, i would like to know if this really wouldn't be a smart thing to do. The tunnel, and nun are bent, the nun would be replaced and the tunnel banged as straight as possible.[/b]
I hit a tree with my sled this season, my insurance totalled it. I bought it back and my friend fixed it for $150, case of Bud and some stoggies. I spent less than $300 in patrs. The dealership wanted $3K for cheap fix and $4,500 to replace the frame and numerous other parts. The tunnel, cross member and flying-nun were bent. He pulled everything back strainght, except for the Flying-nun, it was replaced along with nose pan/support, 1 tie rod, tunnel stiffner, ski and ski handle, shock and cam, and it was all put back together with Doo rivets per spects. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The frame was bent far enough that it was hitting the inside of the primary clutch. How much of a job is it to replace the tunnel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts