Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While what may be the last run of the season for me today, my sled suddenly quit. I had initially thought I blew a belt, though it was not loud, tried to give it more gas, but rpms didn't rev up and as I coasted to a stop, I ensured that the kill switch was up and then the motor completely stopped.

Upon inspection, the belt was fine. When I went to pull the recoil to attempt a restart, there was a clicking sound as the recoil turned. The clicking sound is very consistent, like the sounds of a gear loudly clicking if it was hitting something. I figured it was the recoil and removed it but it was fine and by turning the primary clutch, the clicking remained.

The pistons seem alright as I can turn the clutch and the pistons move up and down and feel the compression with my fingers over the open sparkplug holes. I didn't check for spark yet.

I'm not familiar with this area of the engine, so I don't know what could be causing this kind of sound. It seems to come from the mag side of the engine.

Are there any suggestions as to what the problem may be?

·
10,054 Posts
I wouldnt be turning it over till you get into it a little bit,,,, you may have a minor problem that will only get worse as you turn it over

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will do that. I hear that the flywheel is tough to get out. It looks like I need some type of puller right?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whew!! I can't even get the retaining nut for the flywheel off yet!

Does anyone have any tips? I'm using an adjustable wrench as I don't have a socket large enough. What socket size should I buy? 29, 30 mm?

·
Registered
976 Posts
That clicking sound OMG my sled did that ouch!! I am not saying it's the same But mine was the water pump basicly the bottom end went 600 bucks to rebuild . My engine was a'97 583 R.A.V.E. out of an mxz . It started to make that sound a clicking then just died

Be sure to let us know what you find. To stop the motor from rolling over I put my spare pull cord out of the tool kit in one cylinder. When the piston tries to go up it jams .

·
Registered
493 Posts
ahhhh dont pull that over, ive heard of this happeneding before, you have a rotary valve engine, before anything,,,,,,,,,take off the roatry valve caover and make sure the brass gear that runs the shaft hasnt STRIPPED. tanke the cover off and turn the engine over and see if the valve spins, dont let it fall off, because it is timed for the engine.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Originally posted by puree@Mar 19 2005, 10:53 PM
I wouldnt be turning it over till you get into it a little bit,,,, you may have a minor problem that will only get worse as you turn it over
[snapback]412425[/snapback]​
that's a for sure. hope it's not a busted ring floating around in there.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by 377safari@Mar 20 2005, 08:14 PM
ahhhh dont pull that over, ive heard of this happeneding before, you have a rotary valve engine, before anything,,,,,,,,,take off the roatry valve caover and make sure the brass gear that runs the shaft hasnt STRIPPED. tanke the cover off and turn the engine over and see if the valve spins, dont let it fall off, because it is timed for the engine.
[snapback]412654[/snapback]​

Hey 377safari, does the engine have to come out to remove the valve cover?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Originally posted by Grimm@Mar 20 2005, 04:55 PM
Whew!! I can't even get the retaining nut for the flywheel off yet!

Does anyone have any tips?  I'm using an adjustable wrench as I don't have a socket  large enough.  What socket size should I buy?  29, 30 mm?
[snapback]412580[/snapback]​

I use a strap wrench on the primary to hold the motor from spinning to remove the flywheel nut. This has always worked for me, but if it doesn't, I've heard you can stuff rope down the sparkplug hole, enough so the cylinder is filled up with rope, then you can use that to keep the crank from spinning. (make sure the piston is above the exhaust port, and use some kind of rope that won't fray apart and leave strands in your motor...)

·
Registered
976 Posts
No the Motor does not have to come out to get to the rotery valve.

Whem my engine blew....a piece went through that valve and that is what cause the clicking sound.
I seen the valve was torn as soon as i took the Carburator off.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't even bothered to look at it closely yet.
The weekend was too nice to work on the sled.
My mind is now moving towards golf :p

·
Registered
184 Posts
Originally posted by Grimm@Mar 29 2005, 11:18 AM
"...The weekend was too nice to work on the sled. ..."
[snapback]414631[/snapback]​
:tongue: Bakacha Grimm... Working on the sled is what makes it a good weekend! Are ya really gonna make me get one of these confounded rotary valve monsters to tear up?! :D

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well after 2 years, I finally took a look at my problem with this sled.
It seems that you are correct MXZOOoom, it looks like the rotary valve is screwed. As soon as I removed the carbs, I found some metal shavings at the intake. I can't see the entire rotary valve as I didn't take everything apart. The valve does not spin when I turn the motor over. My guess is that the gear is stripped and that is what is causing the noise.

After consulting the service manual, the motor has to come out and the crankcase has to be cracked open to fix it, whoopie! :cussing:

I'm not up for the challenge of repairing it myself, nor interested in paying someone else to do it.

Anyone want a 96 Formula Z583 for $500 and tackle this repair themselves? :confused:
Could be used for parts, ie. track, hood, windshield support, etc.

I want to get this thing out of my garage forever.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Well after 2 years, I finally took a look at my problem with this sled.
It seems that you are correct MXZOOoom, it looks like the rotary valve is screwed. As soon as I removed the carbs, I found some metal shavings at the intake. I can't see the entire rotary valve as I didn't take everything apart. The valve does not spin when I turn the motor over. My guess is that the gear is stripped and that is what is causing the noise.

After consulting the service manual, the motor has to come out and the crankcase has to be cracked open to fix it, whoopie! :cussing:

I'm not up for the challenge of repairing it myself, nor interested in paying someone else to do it.

Anyone want a 96 Formula Z583 for $500 and tackle this repair themselves? :confused:
Could be used for parts, ie. track, hood, windshield support, etc.

I want to get this thing out of my garage forever.[/b]

Yes I might be interested. How many km's on it?

I sent you a PM.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts