Snowmobile World banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some ideas on what would be the right sled for my girlfriend's 13-year-old son. He is approximately 6'0" 180lbs. He has ridden 4-wheelers before, but has never ridden a snowmachine. We live in Alaska and ride in about 8 different locations that include groomed trails, deep powder-filled swamps, hillclimbing, lakes and rivers. He would mostly be riding on trail and in the powder, but probably wouldn't be attempting any big highmarking.

What are some of your ideas on what sled might best fit him?

Thanks,
Will

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
If you are looking for new try a Ski Doo Freestyle or a Yamaha Phazer. They are both considered as "entry level" sleds and have a very good following in the youth market. As a guideline in shopping for older sleds, keep the engine displacement to under 500cc for a beginner sled. That engine size is plenty powerfull enough and the sled speed is more than adequate.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
If you are looking for new try a Ski Doo Freestyle or a Yamaha Phazer. They are both considered as "entry level" sleds and have a very good following in the youth market. As a guideline in shopping for older sleds, keep the engine displacement to under 500cc for a beginner sled. That engine size is plenty powerfull enough and the sled speed is more than adequate.[/b]
you see the size of that young man Doc? I would normally agree with you but with that size maybe the 550 freestyle is not overpowered.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Since you have a 08 Nytro

I would say stay with same brand either Phazer or Phazer MTN Lite

·
Registered
361 Posts
i agree, he's a big boy..go with something a little bigger like a 500 ss. at age 13, doesnt look like hes going to be slowing down growing anytime soon, so you don't want to end up get something you will be replacing in a year or two. just my two cents.

-dave

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I would say that as long as he is riding only when you are (for a couple of seasons anyway), get him a 3 or 4 year old sled you would run. If he'll have access to it on his own, I might back that suggestion off to something around a 600. Not because it would be small enough to keep him from getting into trouble, but hopefully will allow him more time to recover from a situation he doesn't have the experience to realize he's getting into. Stuff happens too fast on the bigger ones, takes too long to slow down/stop.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, I guess I feel like Mr.Cheap here, with part old fart added. A new or year old Phazer or a Frestyle for a 13 year old? A 500SS or a 600 for a 13 year old? Yikes. How about a older 2 stroke Phazer, an Indy 500 (488), maybe a Vmax 500. Let him learn a couple years on one of those, then you can spend $6k or more on a sled, or maybe get him something as fast as a 600. When my kid was 13, he still a couple years left riding a 340 Sport. Hmmm......maybe I am a financial conservative ( cheap)! Naaahhh :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your ideas everyone. Here are some of the sleds that I have thought have at least some remote possibility:

Yamaha Phazer
Yamaha Phazer MTX
Polaris IQ Shift
Polaris 550 LX
Polaris Supersport
Polaris Trail RMK
Skidoo MXZ Fan
Skidoo MXZ 550X
Skidoo Summit Fan
Arctic Cat F570
Arctic Cat F5
Arctic Cat Crossfire 5

3 huge factors are making this tough; whether or not to go short or longtrack, whether or not to go fan or liquid cooled, and how much to spend. I have some brand loyalty to Yamaha and Polaris as I always rode Polaris before ordering my 2008 Yamaha FX Nytro, but I am open to the possibility of going with a Skidoo or Arctic Cat (slim chance though for team green).

The kid's size (6'0" 180lbs) and the fact that we will be riding in some deep powder at times seem to be the toughest part of choosing between short or long track.

Any more suggestions that you all have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Will

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Hello Aces,

The key is education education education ! , and I would consider the maturity level of the rider because at 13 most kids think " that won't or can't happen to me". Well any sled can run into a tree or another rider and cc's won't really matter.

I'm going to let the Experts of Snowmobileworld steer you on the engine size ect... but my 2cents on track size would be to go with a long track. I personally will probably never go back to a short track and it sounds like my husband and I do the same sort of riding you do( with exception to the lakes and rivers). If your going to take him into the deep stuff I would not even think twice about the long track.

Snow4

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I guess I was thinking if senior was going to be on a short track, junior should be able to get away with one too. Otherwise, agreed. If anywhere near the hills and deeper stuff, that's where I'd be - on a long track.

I would not consider a fan. It will be outgrown too quickly if everything else in the group is liquid/faster. I do the Yamaha/Polaris thing also (after 20+ years on Polaris, went with an Apex), but approaching this with an open mind, thinking you could do a lot worse than a 500SS Rev, a small Firecat, or if budget isn't an issue, an IQ. I think giving him the advantage of rider forward technology would be worth the money spent. If that's just not in the picture, then maybe a 500 or 600 Edge might be the ticket?

·
Registered
443 Posts
great sleds for him would be :
the zx style renegade 600
crossfire 500
the phazer mountain

by the sounds of it hes a big kid so i would highly reccomend staying away from fans, he will get bored of it and find it under powered. With his size i would say 600cc is perfect, i am the same size as him, just 10 pounds lighter and my 600 is perfect.

·
4,440 Posts
how many of you, that say "no fan", have ridden a 550 doo? I would look at the freestyle 550 w long track.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I know i suggested Phazer

IMO even at 80hp that is too much for a 13yr old

I was 13 in the 80s and we had 377s,340s 250s and they were plenty powerful for a 13yr old and those were 25-40hp sleds

btw 180 LBS means nothing its the maturity that accounts more then anything

·
4,440 Posts
I know i suggested Phazer

IMO even at 80hp that is too much for a 13yr old

I was 13 in the 80s and we had 377s,340s 250s and they were plenty powerful for a 13yr old and those were 25-40hp sleds

btw 180 LBS means nothing its the maturity that accounts more then anything[/b]
I agree its a choich you make for your kid, and is he ready for the machine. but a kid as big as me on a 300 freesyle would be bored in a week I assure you. I bet those 377's and 340's had less weight to them as well. bringing the hp to weight up. I stand by my choice and don't think I would put him on anything larger for a few years. I found a old (new) gtx380 for my son to ride and think that will last him a few years.

·
Registered
443 Posts
cant you get one of those things that makes it so he cant get the full power out of the machine, then as he gains more expereince and control of the sled you can take it off for more hp??

·
Registered
903 Posts
I really like the 550 Ski-Doos. My dad is about 200 lbs. and the 550 still pulls along, getting about the same gas mileage as me. A 380 is a little weak for a 180 lb. rider. I had one when I was 12-14 and it got a little boring, me being at 130 lbs.

If you want a trail/bump sled a 550X is good and if you want a powder sled the Summit 550 is good. I'm not a fan of the weaker RF chassis...trail-wise it is nowhere near a REV.

IMO the only sleds that have chassis' that he won't feel old on are the REV, new F570 and F5, IQ and the Phazer. I don't want to sound like I'm bashing but rider-forward is the name of the game. The fan REVs, Phazer, and 570 are close in power. The IQ is a 120hp 600 which I think is a little too much.

And as everyone also said, a used sled is a good choice as well.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I need some ideas on what would be the right sled for my girlfriend's 13-year-old son. He is approximately 6'0" 180lbs. He has ridden 4-wheelers before, but has never ridden a snowmachine. We live in Alaska and ride in about 8 different locations that include groomed trails, deep powder-filled swamps, hillclimbing, lakes and rivers. He would mostly be riding on trail and in the powder, but probably wouldn't be attempting any big highmarking.

What are some of your ideas on what sled might best fit him?

Thanks,
Will[/b]
wow he is huge, i was like 4'2" 110 at that age. id say anything with a 500 or 600 ish engine. any brand just find a good deal and buy it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts