Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to spend under 2,500. I know for that price I can get her something reliable and fun. Here is the deal, she right now is a very big novice. When she get comfortable on a sled she will open up a little and be a mid range intermediate once she gets more seat time. This is all pending she does the same what she did with the Jet Ski and dirt bikes but still. Here is the one problem, she is 115, isn't that strong and has knee problems. I fear if I get her a big ol' 600 like mine she will be pooped with in a hour or two. Before she was riding a 91 Phazer II but her knees bomped out after 6 hours. She has been doing a lot of PT on them so they should be better but isn't the Xtra 12 or other suspentions a LOT better than that little Phazer?

I guess my question comes down to what sled would you suggest for the 1,500 to 2,500 range for her?

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I liquid cooled 500 should do the trick very nicely. Just look for suspensions. The Polaris Xtra-10 or 12 ride fairly nice, the Skidoo SC-10 with Boivin's ETS coupler is comparable, and Cat's ETT absorbs alot of bumps too.
A 500 is light enough for her I think, and she will be able to keep up with you easily once she gets used to her new sled. What kind of riding are you doing?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I aunt has a '97 Indy 500 fan 2-up. It rides very nice, so nice most people rather switch with her for a bit. Even my uncle hates his '98 xlt limiteds xtra-12's ride in comparisons. Any sled will have to have the suspension set-up for her if she'sw only 115lbs. You can definetly find a great ride for thast kind of money. There is a polaris 500 in the classifieds. Andthe Bronson michigan auction is this saturday again. Your guaranteed to find a killer deal there.
caleb

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Your "big ol' 600" doesn't really weigh any more than the 500 liquids. If your concerned about weight, stay with a Fan cooled sled.

I had a Ski-doo Formula 500 sl with the 500 fan and it was really easy to throw around and rode great. I then bought my daughter an mxz500 with the liquid cooled 500 and she always complains about the ride. She loves the engine, but not the ride.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
A Indy Super Sport (550 Fan, good power) with the Xtra10 would be perfect. ALso the Indy XCF (440 Fan) would be a good choice. The Phazer is a great sled very light, but the susp. is very dated for todays trails. One of these 2 sleds would be a good choice. Also Polaris made a Indy Trail in the Evolution chassis ( looks like Indy 500) with the Xtra10 and the 550 fan.

Also the Formula SL, Formula S would be good choices. Even the new Phazers in the SX chassis. You should be able to find all of these for $2500-$3000

Look on ebay

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
As far as comfort is concerned... a 2up machine is going to be the best bet. A long track will be a little easier on her. Dont get anything too big though... b/c then she will not be able to control it. My recommendation would be a 440 Fan Jag. The 340's are nice too, but when it time to plant the throttle they dont have the same get up and go. You can probably find a 96-98 440 2 up for under $2500.00 The fan machines are very reliable and a 440 can still get up around 80 especially if shes only 115. My GF last year was riding a Z440 and she loved it... but i know she hated my 600, it was 2 much machine for her, and I agree the 500 is just as heavy. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Mighty RX-1@Sep 30 2002, 04:10 PM
Your "big ol' 600" doesn't really weigh any more than the 500 liquids.  
My big ol' 600 is 548 dry. So it is a big ol' 600 considering the RX1 is almost the same weight. I'm currently on a 98 XCR 600 3+3 its not too light of a sled.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would a XCR 440 choice? Is the XCR suspention stiffer than the other Xtra 10s w/o the fox shocks?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The XCR440s came with the XC101 suspension, not long travel. Unlike now, the 440 racers then came setup for oval, not snowcross. The XCR440s are only like 5" of travel. They corner great (friend has a 95 440) but not that great on todays trails. Anyways, a liquid twin will weigh the same, very close to each other no matter what the size. That is why I was thinking the XCF or the Super sport. They came in the IndyChassis, with Extra10s, and are very light. Will be 20 lbs or more lighter than most liquid twins. The XCFs were basically race sleds for the fan class, where as the Super Sport gave up the plastic skis for more HP. They will run 75-80 MPH no prob and still weigh 450lbs.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I would try look for a small efi unit like a 500Indy or even a ZL500 they both ride very well and she will be able to grow from there.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Here is a pic of a 98 Super Sport. I think they went cheap back then. The list then was 4399, but I bet you could get one in good shape for $2000-$2500

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
if your concered about weight, why dont you get a firecat...... oh wait, by the time you get that it will probably be heavier then your truck. LOL

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by sledcrazy@Sep 30 2002, 07:15 PM
if your concered about weight, why dont you get a firecat...... oh wait, by the time you get that it will probably be heavier then your truck. LOL
That and I don't think a firecat will be going for under 2500! What Skidoo, Cat and Yamaha models should I look for that would be similar to the Super Sport, Indy Trail etc that can still bang around?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Yamaha doesn't really make something that size and price, but the newer Phazers with the trailing arms are quite nice for that kind of sled. 500Fan in the SX type chassis

Doo made several sleds like the Formula S that are what we are looking at (500 fan)

Arctic Cat has the Jags and the Pumas

What has happened here is Polaris made these sleds with the good chassis and features with the big fan engines. Not until recently did Doo make the MXZ500f

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I got my wife a '93 EXT (cat) she loves it, cant talk her into a new firecat tho, It's a good all around sled haven't had any real serious probs, most of the people I ride with, the women seem to like the cats when you said she is 115 I'm assuming you meant weight not age :D

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
A newer-type phazer (99 and newer) with Trailing Arms would be a good yamaha sled for her, the ProAction Suspension is pretty forgiving especially for a girl that weighs 115!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I thank all you guys very much, now I atleast know what to go look for aside in the Polaris line up. You have also given me a couple more ideas on sleds!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Go with a 1998 Mxz 500. Its an awsome sled period. Great power and suspention. Lightweight and reliable.

·
Registered
74 Posts
First think you should do is get a picture of the trail and ask her to look at it and show you where the "black" lane lines are on the trail. (Kind of like the white lines on a lane, but on snow, they should be black.)

You need to be patient and tell new riders about the rules of the trail and not to ride into on coming lanes when going through turns. I state this because I can't tell you how many times we've seen a group of riders and some guy's girlfriend is inevitably at the back of the pack on a Phazer usually and she ends up riding all over the place. . . often the second most dangerous person on the trail next to a "wanna be" racer leader who can't stay on their own side.

Whatever sled you get, be sure to spend extra time instilling safety in the riders you take out, because to many of these new riders only seem to be riding "as fast as they can" to keep up with the more experienced guy.

my 2 cents.

Greg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts